7 wire trailer test box

Discussion in 'The Completed Projects Collection' started by misfit0138, Jan 7, 2015.

1. misfit0138

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 4, 2015
    I just recently joined the fourm and fairly new to the world of electronics. i just started getting into it deeper. I am a machinist, welder, heavy equipment mechanic by trade. I did this box about weeks or so ago. The company I work for we have specialty trailers for directional underground drilling that get abused alot. So instead of always needing a vehicle and running back and forth or having someone else to check lights, electric brakes, blinkers, etc i made this.

I took an old pc power supply that I had laying around and misc other stuff and put it together but here's somewhat of a list.

Old Dewalt grinder box.

500 watt computer power supply

A few SPDT and DPDT switches

2 power switches.

Breadboard for radio shack which there is not much on it but I went bigger then what I needed just for future add on. I still want something to do with the 3.3 and 5 volts that are in it.

I custom built box for switches out of 1/8 aluminum and tig welded.

I added a cigarette lighter to test company truck rotating amber lights if there was ever a problem and to charge cell phone etc.

Any opinions or suggestions for future add on's.
  2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Add something that shows the wiring and this project qualifies for the Completed Projects forum. Nothing fancy, just show the connectors and the point to point wiring (and switches).

As usual, this post will self destruct. Don't answer it directly, just the issues. :)
  3. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    I like the background to the photos

Lots of space in the workshop.

Wish I had that.

#I suppose I can always dream.

4. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    I like using old tool cases for projects too.
  5. misfit0138

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 4, 2015
    thanks everyone. it was kind of build on the fly and I will try to get some detailed drawing of the electrical. but ill warn you it may not be pretty.