7-segment to analog meter convertor

jack abraham

Joined Aug 17, 2010
I have device and i want to convert value displayed in 3-digit 7-segment in analog meter. i only have assess to 3-digit-7 segment not to any other part of the circuit.
in other word i need to know how to read back value displayed in 7-segment

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
You have to do the reverse engineering as :
0. Display 0 to 0000 -- 0 (a,b,c,d,e,f) to 0000, if a,b,c,d,e,f segments led all 1(high) then output 0000

1. Display 1 to 0001 -- 0 (b,c) to 0001, if b,c segments led all 1(high) then output 0001

2. Display 2 to 0010 -- 0 (a,b,c,d,e,f) to 0010, if a,b,d,e,g segments led all 1(high) then output 0010

3. Display 3 to 0011 -- 0 (a,b,c,d,e,f) to 0011, if a,b,c,d,g segments led all 1(high) then output 0011

4. Display 4 to 0100 -- 0 (a,b,c,d,e,f) to 0100, if b,c,f,g segments led all 1(high) then output 0100

5. Display 5 to 0101 -- 0 (a,b,c,d,e,f) to 0101, if a,c,d,f,g segments led all 1(high) then output 0101

6. Display 6 to 0110 -- 0 (a,b,c,d,e,f) to 0110, if a,c,d,e,f,g segments led all 1(high) then output 0110

7. Display 7 to 0111 -- 0 (a,b,c,d,e,f) to 0111, if a,b,c segments led all 1(high) then output 0111

8. Display 8 to 1000 -- 0 (a,b,c,d,e,f) to 1000, if a,b,c,d,e,f,g segments led all 1(high) then output 1000

9. Display 9 to 1001 -- 0 (a,b,c,d,e,f) to 1001, if a,b,c,d,f,g segments led all 1(high) then output 1001

Above just for one digital, you need to do three digital.

For three independent digital 7-segments led display:
Using three 8 bits eeprom to decode three digital 7-segments leds to three binary decimal values as 0000~1001.

For three scan digital 7-segments led:
Using one 8 bits eeprom to decode three digital 7-segments led to a three combined binary decimal values, and using three 74HC574 -- CMOS Logic Octal D-Type Flip-Flop to decode the three combined binary decimal values as three independent binary decimal values as 0000~1001.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I have device and i want to convert value displayed in 3-digit 7-segment in analog meter. i only have assess to 3-digit-7 segment not to any other part of the circuit.

Hi,

Fairly hard to do in most cases because usually the digits are multiplexed so their digits or segments are updated in a time frame where they are not 'on' all the time.

You did not say if this is LED or LCD. If it is LCD, forget it. If it is LED, you have a chance if you really want to build a circuit that can detect timing, or else use a microcontroller to detect the multiplexing signals. Still not an easy task even with a 7 segment LED display.

prof328

Joined Apr 15, 2016
Probably not possible, I built a device using eight seven segment displays controlled by a Maxim 7219. This chip multiplexes the displays at 800Hz so only one segment of any of the displays is energized at any moment in time. The refresh rate is way above what the human eye can detect and so the display looks like the numbers are solid but they are not.
All of the 'a' segments are connected together, as with the 'b' etc. so eight connections to the 7219 and one connection 'the common' is made from each display back to the 7219 another eight connections to the 7219.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Design 773 3-digit 7-segment back to analog.png
Sounds like a place for a PROM and a DAC. But, assuming the display is multiplexed, that sounds like a timing nightmare. Practically, I think your answer is, "no". Yes, as suggested, latch the data on digit selection signals.

What you would need might look like this, if you could find the parts.

Multiplexed or not multiplexed, that is the question.
LED or LCD?

Last edited:

jack abraham

Joined Aug 17, 2010
Hi,

Fairly hard to do in most cases because usually the digits are multiplexed so their digits or segments are updated in a time frame where they are not 'on' all the time.

You did not say if this is LED or LCD. If it is LCD, forget it. If it is LED, you have a chance if you really want to build a circuit that can detect timing, or else use a microcontroller to detect the multiplexing signals. Still not an easy task even with a 7 segment LED display.
It is LED Not LCD

View attachment 107559
Sounds like a place for a PROM and a DAC. But, assuming the display is multiplexed, that sounds like a timing nightmare. Practically, I think your answer is, "no". Yes, as suggested, latch the data on digit selection signals.

What you would need might look like this, if you could find the parts.

Multiplexed or not multiplexed, that is the question.
LED or LCD?
3-digit 7-segment Multiplexed And LED common cathode

Last edited by a moderator:

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
It is LED Not LCD

Hi,

Ok cool. Now, what color are the LED's?

it matters because RED might only be 1.7v to 2.2v whereas blue could be as high as 3.4v per segment. This makes a difference on the logic used to detect the segment pulses. Regular 5v logic wont be able to pick up 1.7v pulses but may be able to pick up 3v pulses. So you might need logic level translators too.

If you are serious about this, you are probably better off using a microcontroller, but i would check the signals with a scope first to see if this is doable.

benta

Joined Dec 7, 2015
There's one more difficulty apart from multiplexing: leading zero blanking.
If the display has this as well, it gets really funny.

Benta.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Honestly, we are good at solving problems but this seems like the OP is asking us to solve his solution. What is the real problem?
What is wrong with a digital readout.
Why is there no access to the analog input of the current situation?
What accuracy is needed?
What range of input voltages are needed?
Does the current meter have automatic range adjustment?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Seems like it would be possible to place a light sensor (LED) in contact with each segment of each digit, connect each sensor to a uC input, read the LEDs that are producing voltage, decode the results, and output the results on a DAC.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Seems like it would be possible to place a light sensor (LED) in contact with each segment of each digit, connect each sensor to a uC input, read the LEDs that are producing voltage, decode the results, and output the results on a DAC.
If the strategy is complicated, it will take a complicated solution like this.

We may as well consider a vision system to read the LEDs and create a DAC output to drive the analog meter. I guess we could have a second vision system to confirm that the analog meter is reading the filtered DAC signal correctly.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
It would be easier to start with an instrumentation amplifier and build a new meter from scratch.
It would be an absolute doddle with decoder/drivers fed by a chain of BCD counters - just run a binary counter alongside the BCD chain and use standard DAC resistor ladders.

If BCD is available, it may be possible to convert back to binary - ready made decoder chips have probably long since been lost in the mists of time. Converting from 7-seg is also possible. There may be some "glue logic" decoder diagrams in the databooks on archive.org.

A multiplexed display will require latches between the outputs and the decode back circuit.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
My post was not a joke. Given the dimensions and spacing of the displays, it would be easy to design a PCB to hold the sensor LEDs in the proper locations, and then place the assembly in contact with the display. No electrical connections to the display circuitry would be required. The whole project could be done with less than $15 in components.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
My post was not a joke. Given the dimensions and spacing of the displays, it would be easy to design a PCB to hold the sensor LEDs in the proper locations, and then place the assembly in contact with the display. No electrical connections to the display circuitry would be required. The whole project could be done with less than $15 in components.
I didn't mean for it to be a joke - the project request is kind of a joke. there are likely a half-dozen ways to get to the OP's end goal but, without him/her explaining the real starting situation and the real goal, it is hard to come up with alternatives.

jack abraham

Joined Aug 17, 2010
Hi,

it matters because RED might only be 1.7v to 2.2v whereas blue could be as high as 3.4v per segment. This makes a difference on the logic used to detect the segment pulses. Regular 5v logic wont be able to pick up 1.7v pulses but may be able to pick up 3v pulses. So you might need logic level translators too.
Hi,

If you are serious about this, you are probably better off using a microcontroller, but i would check the signals with a scope first to see if this is doable.
The color is RED

jack abraham

Joined Aug 17, 2010
Hi,

I thought i can do it with pic16f877a y example(i have it). but i need other method from logic ic not uc