7 segment display

Hurdy

Joined Feb 27, 2006
ok Hurdy so which pic port ?
Any standard digital IO pic pins will do the job.

Say PORTA1 to PORTA4
or PORTB1 to PORTB4

Any digital port will be fine, as long as your software writes to the correct port registers.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
[...]
my brains just frazzled lol
Sometimes it's good to take some to just sit and think about an idea.

It seems the boards you've purchased have the drivers built in, so you can disregard most of the information from your previous thread as that was discussing how to drive the LEDs themselves...

cassity69

Joined Dec 18, 2013
ok so ive decided that im not going to multiplex and im going to just connect it straight to the pic pins
instead ill be using 4 displays therefore i will need 2 ports each displaying two displays a-d 1-4 ad 1-4 if you get me

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
ok so ive decided that im not going to multiplex and im going to just connect it straight to the pic pins
instead ill be using 4 displays therefore i will need 2 ports each displaying two displays a-d 1-4 ad 1-4 if you get me
Okay, so we are clear, you understand that this implies 16 I/O for all 4 displays, right?

Are you using serial communications? Are you attempting to program in circuit (ICSP or LVICSP)?

cassity69

Joined Dec 18, 2013
yes i understand that, im using C programming
already programmed the stepper and resistor which ive already done in the past so werent too hard
so using two displays instead of 3 will just mean ill keep the rpm of the stepper down to under 100 so it can display correctly

i have a programming code which i linked at the start of my post, this was for the 7 segs that were not decoded
do you think i should use that as a base or is there a better program available
i feel alot better about this now the hardware is done thanks guys

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
The program in the link you provided won't help you much - you are not multiplexing. The only part I could see being useful for you is getting the digits from the 0-99 value.

All you need to do is get the BCD number you want to display and send that to the correct nibble in the correct port latch register.

Hurdy

Joined Feb 27, 2006
I would seriously consider driving all four 7 segment displays either straight off of the PIC or using the Binary Coded Decimal decoder. Then switch each one on and off using basic transistors.

Advtanges:
-Less ports used on the pic
-Power usage from 7 segs will roughly be 1 quarter (driving one segment at a time instead of 4)
-Your code is likely to be in a repetitive loop so multiplexing won't be too much of an issue

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I would seriously consider driving all four 7 segment displays either straight off of the PIC or using the Binary Coded Decimal decoder.[...]
The displays the OP is using seem to have the BCD decoder on the board that the display is mounted on, and is driven from it.