6VDC relay operated from 220VAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
Dear
I want to operate a DC magnetic relay (5V, 6V or 12V) from 220V mains power. It can be simply done by building a small power supply using a 100mA 220V to 6V (or 12V), but I think there is an easier way to do it, maybe a series resistor (and/or capacitor) with the relay's coil. I read about transformless power supply circuits like this:

the capacitor in this circuit is 'suppressor type' which is big..
Let me ask about this type of capacitors, there is another type called film capacitor, what is the difference between them? I see the film type used in place of suppression capacitors... Here are pictures of both types I mean:
suppression capacitor:
and

film capacitor:

Back to the relay, I know there are AC (mains voltage) relays, but I have a lot of 6V DC relays and want to use them powered from mains voltage. It's not a good idea to have a special circuit to do that, this is why I'm looking for a simple way to do it, like adding a series capacitor or resistor or both...

Regards,
Hazim

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

We do not want mains powered circuits over here.
You MUST use a transformer to have a safe circuit.

Bertus

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
Hello,

We do not want mains powered circuits over here.
You MUST use a transformer to have a safe circuit.

Bertus
Thank you.
I expected such an answer :). I know the risks and I know your concern. I'll search for information about my question and experiment the circuit far from the forum..
What about the capacitor types?

Regards,
Hazim

Status
Not open for further replies.