6kw electric motor @ 2900rpm, How much does it consume @ 750rpm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't think we have enough information to answer the question. As a minimum you might want to give us a clue about what type of motor it is and how you are controlling the speed. A datasheet would also be handy.

massconvert

Joined Nov 14, 2014
Just considering if this is possible?
1 lets say 20kw @ 250rpm neodymium generator coupled with a 3ph 20kw @ 2900rpm universal motor, instead of running it at 250rpm.
Does that make sense?

massconvert

Joined Nov 14, 2014
Ok
AC (INDUCTION) 10/20KW + CONTROLLER

power: 10/20 kW (nom/peak)
torque: 32/100Nm (nom/peak)
voltage: 220V
speed: 5600rpm
weight: 48kg (with controller)(variable speed)

PMG PMA - Brushless Magnet Generator - 15kw 250rpm
Rated power: 15kw
Rated voltage: 230V/400V
Rated speed: 240 rpm
Rated efficiency: 80 %
Rated torque: 600 Nm
Frequency: 50 Hz
Weight:: 480 kg

How would this work?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I see two different devices. One is a motor which can run at 5600 rpm. Nowhere is 2900 rpm or 750 rpm mentioned.
The other is a generator which runs at 240 rpm. Again no mention of 2900 rpm or 750 rpm.

Are the two devices connected? If so, are you asking how much power the motor will consume at different speeds to run the generator at some speed provided by a gearbox or some other method?

massconvert

Joined Nov 14, 2014
I see two different devices. One is a motor which can run at 5600 rpm. Nowhere is 2900 rpm or 750 rpm mentioned.
The other is a generator which runs at 240 rpm. Again no mention of 2900 rpm or 750 rpm.

Are the two devices connected? If so, are you asking how much power the motor will consume at different speeds to run the generator at some speed provided by a gearbox or some other method?[/Q

Thanks for your reply
Have a look at this system in youtube
Omega RF5000 Electric Generator
The 2900rpm is from another motor witch i have no specs.

massconvert

Joined Nov 14, 2014
I am assuming if I align the rotors dead center to each other and couple them together using a metal sleave. Starting the motor and reducing its speed to 240rpm it would consume far less energy, and in consequence can be fed by the generator to be self sufficient by producing far more energy to be used somewhere else.
Is this a far fetched idea?

massconvert

Joined Nov 14, 2014

These generators are for sale on ebay uk, they are designed for wind and water weel configurations.
They appear to be a solution.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I am assuming if I align the rotors dead center to each other and couple them together using a metal sleave. Starting the motor and reducing its speed to 240rpm it would consume far less energy, and in consequence can be fed by the generator to be self sufficient by producing far more energy to be used somewhere else.
Is this a far fetched idea?
Yes it is a far fetched idea. In any electo-mechanical system the power out will always be less than, and in some cases much less than, the power in. A motor with an inertial load has a very different speed-torque characteristic than a motor with no load. That load will have a dramatic effect on the power consumption of the motor at any speed. BTW are you sure the motor could even turn the generator?

Last edited:

massconvert

Joined Nov 14, 2014
Yes it is a far fetched idea. In any electo-mechanical system the power out will always be less than, and in some cases much less than, the power in. A motor with an inertial load has a very different speed-torque characteristic than a motor with no load. That load will have a dramatic effect on the power consumption of the motor at any speed. BTW are you sure the motor could even turn the generator?
Yeah
That was my initial concern, but from the research I've done it appears that even a smaller motor would turn even without a flyweel to assist.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
........................... A motor with an inertial load has a very different speed-torque characteristic than a motor with no load. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Ah, the pursuit of perpetual motion is never ending. :rolleyes:

The inertial load on a motor has no effect on the speed-torque characteristic. It will have an effect though, on the motor acceleration and deceleration.

massconvert

Joined Nov 14, 2014
Ah, the pursuit of perpetual motion is never ending. :rolleyes:

The inertial load on a motor has no effect on the speed-torque characteristic. It will have an effect though, on the motor acceleration and deceleration.

Yes
But from the specs and design of these motors it appears that you could even rotate them with a basic high torque power drill at those rpms.
I am pretty basic in my electrical know how, but the idea that the rotor of these motors have literally any drag whatsoever, inclines me to believe that it is possible.

massconvert

Joined Nov 14, 2014

It appears that the original patent owner (Antonio Romero) of the supposed technology went to live in Poland for a while, and I find it coincidental that the motors shown and sold on Ebay UK, are being manufactured in Poland.
Don't know, could be the real thing. I'd like to believe at least.
Could also be a scam.
will give it a go one of these days. Only 1300 Euros for a small one, if it works ill buy the 20kw version.
I also listened to the radio interview of Mr Romero, I understand Spanish and have some experience in detecting through voice stress recognition systems, and am quite convinced that what he says appears to be true.

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Sorry, but you can't fool Mother Nature. It's a scam if it claims to output more energy then you put into it.

By the way, sociopaths are very good at lying.

Status
Not open for further replies.