60 Hz

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Hello,

After searching at the dictionary, I found out what does Hz means. But I have to clarify it because it might be different.

OK, our circuit breaker is rated as 240 volts 60 Hz.

So means that, if our circuit breaker is rated as 60 Hz, it means it can handle alternating current electric current that reverses 60 times in a second.

Am I correct?

Thanks!

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Yes, Hz is short for Hertz. Heinrich Hertz is famous for his work with radio waves. Hz means cycles per second (frequency). If you look at a model of an electromagnetic wave, you will see several peaks. One Hz (cycle) would be how many times it goes from peak-to-peak within one second.
I hope this helps!
Der Strom

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
AC voltage "alternates" positive to negative and back to the beginning making one cycle. The frequency is how many cycles per second it rotates. The Voltage or "Amplitide" is the measurement of the height of the wave above zero. (peak voltage) If you measure it from the highest point above zero, to the lowest point below zero, it's called
"peak to peak" . AC Voltage can be created at any frequency, but the standard is 60 hz for US and others, and 50 hz in parts of Europe and Japan. See this..
.http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_1/2.html

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Here's a pretty good animation showing how it's created.

http://www.koehler.me.uk/animation/e_and_m_ac_gen_1.htm

Hope we helped.
I thought 2 phase form the power companies was 180° out of phase?

To answer lightfires question, one hertz is one cycle per second. one cycle is going back AND forth.
If you have a 60Hz voltage source, it cycles 60 times a second, which is the same as going back and forth 120 times a second.

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
Actually, what you are seeing is the magnetic field which is out of phase with the actual voltage it creates. Commercial generation is three phase(Three individual sets of poles) 120 degrees apart. Check out the three phase simulation a couple of pages down.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
If you look at a model of an electromagnetic wave, you will see several peaks. One Hz (cycle) would be how many times it goes from peak-to-peak within one second.
I hope this helps!
Der Strom
it reverses 120 times a second. a full wave is 2 reversals.
Yes, I apologize. I should not have worded it that way. I meant from, for example, the top of one peak to the top of the next one (above zero). As Russ said, one full wave is two reversals of current.
Der Strom

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Actually, what you are seeing is the magnetic field which is out of phase with the actual voltage it creates.
Right, makes sense, thanks

Commercial generation is three phase(Three individual sets of poles) 120 degrees apart. Check out the three phase simulation a couple of pages down.
Yea, I knew about three phase...
Wait, isn't the power coming from the wall actually one phase, not two...
*facepalm
Never-mind then.
:rolleyes: