6-packs, 12-packs of beer finally available in PA!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
believe it or not, in Pennsylvania, beer must be purchased from "beer distributors" in full cases (24 X 12 oz containers). No other alcohol is sold in these stores - just beer. Wine and hard liquor is sold in State-owned stores - just like the old Soviet Union! Recently, some grocery stores were allowed to sell 6-packs but, if you want more than two, you must leave the store and put the first two in the car before coming back in or a second adult can buy an additional two six packs as a separate purchase.

Anyhow, today, after 86-years of beer nonsense, beer distributors can now sell 6-packs or 12-packs or even singles. The law was signed today so it goes into effect in 60-days as usual in PA. The other part of the bill allows sales to start at 9am instead of 11 and other issues about mail-order alcohol.

This is the strangest state I've ever lived in for alcohol sales. The changes have been pushed for 25 years and nothing changed until today. It took a democrat governor to finally decide the family values would not be destroyed by a portable source of beer like 6-packs. He may be going out on a limb because there is not much evidence that 6-packs will turn us all into drunks but time will tell.

The local beer distributor was having a party! What a back

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Can't remember the name of the store but there's a store near Sharon, Pa that sits on the state border with Oh. Same store in two states. Pa people came there to buy their beer, since the beer was on the Oh side, check out/pay in Oh and walk out in Pa. Never knew the reason behind it till now.

EDIT: changed "there" to "their" before the spelling cops come

Last edited:

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
TN has some strange alcohol laws also. The county I live in is considered "dry", you cannot buy liquor or wine by the bottle. You can buy beer just about anywhere, and you can buy liquor "by the drink" in a few places. You cannot buy wine by the drink or bottle anywhere (for now).
Lynchburg TN where Jack Daniels is made is totally dry no beer, liquor, wine by the drink or bottle. In some of the counties that surround me you can buy beer, liquor by the bottle, very few have wine. In the big city you can get whatever you want.
In town they had a vote a few weeks ago whether or not to sell wine by the bottle, but only the people in the city limits could vote on it and all sales must be within the city limits. It passed but is delayed for a few months, dunno why.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
TN has some strange alcohol laws also. The county I live in is considered "dry", you cannot buy liquor or wine by the bottle. You can buy beer just about anywhere, and you can buy liquor "by the drink" in a few places. You cannot buy wine by the drink or bottle anywhere (for now).
Lynchburg TN where Jack Daniels is made is totally dry no beer, liquor, wine by the drink or bottle. In some of the counties that surround me you can buy beer, liquor by the bottle, very few have wine. In the big city you can get whatever you want.
In town they had a vote a few weeks ago whether or not to sell wine by the bottle, but only the people in the city limits could vote on it and all sales must be within the city limits. It passed but is delayed for a few months, dunno why.
The reception for my nieces wedding was at a meeting hall in Missouri. There was an odd sign on the wall about buying "setups". I was also confused why other attendees had brought bottles of booze with them. When I asked about this, it was explained to me that a setup was a cup with ice in it for you to pour your drink into. Apparently, liquor could not be sold by the drink even though they had a beer tap. Being from Colorado, this was new and strange to me.