6 months Baby, shock of 220V AC-less then a sec

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by tractable, May 26, 2010.

  1. tractable

    Thread Starter New Member

    Dec 30, 2009
    16
    0
    About 6 years ago my cousin then of 6 months age was crawling on the floor and touched a bare wire of 220 V wall socket. I noticed a jerk in his body and thats it.
    Today he is a patient of Autism (Brain disorder), something which is almost incurable, why it origintes is also unknown. I always thought, could such a shock can affect the brain by any way....? I am not a doctor but I've always given loads of guidance to his parents.
    Only I have seen this electric shock and purpose of posting here is to get an idea which I can share with his doctor.
     
  2. t06afre

    AAC Fanatic!

    May 11, 2009
    5,939
    1,222
    Which wire did your cousin touched? If it was only one wire. It could have been that by crawling around the floor. Some static electricity was build up. And then your cousin touched the metal it was discharged. I think a real electric shook would have caused a lot of crying.
     
  3. flat5

    Active Member

    Nov 13, 2008
    403
    17
    Just tell the doctor what you saw. Let him decide it's importance.
     
  4. retched

    AAC Fanatic!

    Dec 5, 2009
    5,201
    312
    I would not delve too deeply into finding if this was the cause. This only helps place blame.

    If it were you who left the wire exposed or another family member, the emotional damage of knowing or thinking that you may have had a hand in causing this childs autism is not going to help anyone.

    but ANYTHING is possible. Autism is a neural communication disorder. The symptoms of neural communications disorders can be onset by electrocution.

    But to continue in a pattern of autistic development seems unlikely. The electrocution would cause problems at the current state of development, but the body will continue to grow normally.
     
  5. tractable

    Thread Starter New Member

    Dec 30, 2009
    16
    0
    He touched the live (red) wire, and yes it is a matter related to emotions, though the electrician was called to repair the socket but this had happened.
    I've videos of the child since birth, also before the electrocution and now I am planning to share the videos along with info of this incident to the doctor and to researchers, may be some thing helps in cure of Autism.
     
  6. maxpower097

    Well-Known Member

    Feb 20, 2009
    795
    388
    I don't think they are related. I touched a bare wall wire when I was about 3 myself. Its one of my first memories literally burned into my memory. Shoclked me for a good couple seconds. I was trying to unplug a light fixture and my fingers were so small they slipped past the plastic guards and touched the actual plugs. Felt it all the way up to my shoulder.
    I think if it actually caused autism we would see many more cases of autism. People, kids, and even babies shock themselves on a daily basis. I would be more interested in tracking effects of a fetus being shocked while inside the mother. I would think this would be more probable to cause something like this. Autism is a very curious condition. I actually might have a form of autism myself. Many people have it and never even know. The thing is there are so many types and so little research to go on. Hopefully time will help us understand it better.
     
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
  7. tractable

    Thread Starter New Member

    Dec 30, 2009
    16
    0
    "I think if it actually caused autism we would see many more cases of autism"
    This comment make sense, and I wish this to be true, keeping autism away from our lives
     
  8. Norfindel

    Active Member

    Mar 6, 2008
    235
    9
    Some people struck by lightning are changed, but we're talking about millions of volts.
    You can comment that incident to the medic (not in front of the rest of the family, as already suggested), but if no one knows much about how this originates, chances are that no one can give you an answer if that had anything to do.
     
  9. jamjes

    Member

    May 10, 2010
    35
    0
    I have an Autism Spectrum Disorder (confirmed and diagnosed). I've not been shocked, as far as I know.

    Autism tends to run in families, which suggests a genetic origin, except that to my knowledge no research can prove a link. It's a brain disorder, but no one has found a common pathology. Asperger Syndrome is a different ASD and is 50% more likely to occur in males.

    You might be better off asking if any other autistics have had a known electric shock as a kid on these forums: http://www.wrongplanet.net/forums.html It's very active.
     
  10. tractable

    Thread Starter New Member

    Dec 30, 2009
    16
    0
    Jam,
    Thanks for the forum link, that seems to be useful.
     
  11. maxpower097

    Well-Known Member

    Feb 20, 2009
    795
    388
    My uncle has been hit 3 times so far. They say once your hit the first time it changes your bodies "Polarity" and you are 1000 times more likely to get struck again. Not sure if this is true but I can definately tell you once your hit your odds are much higher of getting hit again.... This could also be due to if you were dumb enough to stand out in the rain with a metal rod, chances are your dumb enough to do it again. So I'm not sure why this is true but it is.
     
  12. Markd77

    Senior Member

    Sep 7, 2009
    2,803
    594
    I quite often see people sheltering from thunderstorms under the biggest tree they can find. It amazes me that some people would prefer to risk their lives rather than get a bit damp.
     
  13. t06afre

    AAC Fanatic!

    May 11, 2009
    5,939
    1,222
    Tractable!
    Also remember that current will always take the shortest way. That is why surgeon can a electric current to cut tissue during surgery. Without causing either heart failure or other unwanted damage. Then used correct that is. If I put to fingers in the mains socket. The damage will located to the hand and lower part of the arm. It will not affect the brain.
     
Loading...