5W power amp softer than 1W? Help.

markbr

Joined Mar 21, 2010
Hiya, I have two power amps with me:

1) TDA7052: 1W, gain is 39dB at 6V
2) TDA7056A: 5W, gain is 35.5dB at 6V

Both specifications are for 8ohm loads. Im a little confused because the 1W amp has a higher voltage gain.

Which one would sound louder from the speaker? (im using a 3" 10W speaker)

Thanks.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Trick question, Rif@@.

Of course the 1W amplifier will be louder, because of its higher gain, right up until its output reaches 1W, then the 5W will become louder as input level increases.

markbr

Joined Mar 21, 2010
Of course the 1W amplifier will be louder, because of its higher gain, right up until its output reaches 1W, then the 5W will become louder as input level increases.
THe power amps are connected to TL072 pre-amps, with the volume pot controlling the gain of the PRE-AMP stage. At at max volume the 5W would be louder than the 1W amp. Am i right?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If you are trying to use 6v to power a TL072 opamp, you won't get much out of it - maybe 1.5v P-P tops.

The TL07x series is a good low-noise AF amp, but it can't "see" above around Vcc-1.5v, nor below Vee+3v.

If your Vcc is 6v and Vee is GND, that means you have a range of 1.5v.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Tsk...tsk....I am having a headache to day..from the way most of the posts went.

I wouldn't power my tweeter with that much power...

OP doesn't realize that if did not have the specs he will never no much about gain.
For a descent and clean music Power is a must.

nomurphy

Joined Aug 8, 2005
Tricky trick question: if both are running from a single 6V supply, you'll be lucky to get 1W from either device -- they will sound equally loud at max volume (other circuit discrepencies aside).

flat5

Joined Nov 13, 2008
If he is playing a rock guitar into them the 1 watt amp may be perceived to be louder and "better" because of clipping.
However, at 6 volts they may sound very much the same.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
The 1w will appear "stronger" with the given power supply of 6v

the 5w will not have the required power to clip or even meet the ceiling of most audio frequencies. This is most likely why the 5w sounds softer.

Even if the 1w and the 5w amps had the same gain, by under-powering them, the 1w will perform better.