+/- 5V Power Supply

Peytonator

Joined Jun 30, 2008
Hi there,

I am wanting to make a +/- 5V power supply, but need a centre tap transformer (I think!) -- similar to the following design:
http://www.reconnsworld.com/power/multipowersupply.gif

The only problem is that I don't have a centre tap transformer, but just a normal two-winding step down transformer.

• Is it possible to use a normal transformer as a centre tap transformer? Or how else can I get -5V out?
  • Also, is the 100uF cap on the output neccessary?

Edit: another question on the side:
If I have a raw signal of about 0.1-1uV coming in to a band pass filter, is it better to amplify it (by about 1000) before or after the filter?

Last edited:

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
No need for ct, just use half wave rectification with one end of the transformer ground. Each diode ( 2 ) points in the opposite direction ( conventional current flow ).

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
See the attached schematic.

If you wish, you can add a 10uF capacitor to the outputs of each regulator. This will help to improve transient response.

C1 and C2 are very minimal. I suggest doubling their size.

If your load requirements are small, you could substitute 1N400x diodes for the 1N540x diodes.

As far as your 2nd question, please start a new thread with a suitable subject line; you will receive much better help that way.

Attachments

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Take warning that the pinouts for 7805 and 7905 regulators are different so their respective wiring will be different.