5v fans usb powered and speed control

Zeratullo

Joined Sep 15, 2016
Hello guys!
I've little knowledge about electronics so I'm asking for your help :p.
I've build a cooling pad for my laptop using 2 80mm fans with 5v 0.3 A as specs, they are simply wired in parallel to a usb cable.
Now i have 2 questions, the fan's speed is constant when i plug to a usb wall charger (2A) and when i plug to the laptop's usb2 ports so i'm assuming the laptop's usb output is sufficient, is it risky to use the usb port with this specs?
The second question is about the speed of the fans, they're loud and i would like to regulate manually the rpm with some kind of potentiometer, i found some cheap control boards online but i'm not really sure on what i really need to buy, is a "1.8V 3V 5V 6V 12V 2A Low Voltage Motor Speed Controller PWM 1803B" okay? I need something else to protect the usb port?

Thank you for your help!

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The USB port is pretty well protected so you don't need to worry about it.
From the brief description given it sounds like that controller would do the job.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I was just a little concerned that the description of the speed controller says it '...controls the direction...'. This would mean reversing the polarity of the voltage to the motor. This would likely damage your fan motor. However, I found the same product available on Amazon and the description there only speaks of controlling the speed so I think it is just a matter of poor translation, and so this controller will do the job nicely.