5v device gets hot

Manny M

Joined Jul 24, 2015
Hello all,

Newbie here.

I have a 5v device that I apply 5v volts to through my variable dc power supply. The device lights up fine, but starts to get quite hot where I have to turn off the power to prevent it from overheating.

Can someone help me out here ? Must I introduce a resister to reduce the amps going through the circuit?

thank you

Manny M

Joined Jul 24, 2015
I dont have a schematic of the device... but its basically an instrument that I will use in my flight simulator. There is background lighting embedded in the unit, the switch that are contained within are wired to my pc's keyboard emulator. The only electric component is the background lighting.

thanks

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Does the "lighting" require constant current or something?
If this is an off the shelf product and the "hot" is really a problem then there is something wrong with it and you should return it..
Or its just a normal condition and you are being overly cautious..

FYI.. Devices (except for certain ones like LEDs) only "draw" the power they need..
So its not like your 5V supply is "pushing" too much current through it..
Example.. You can have a 5V device that normally requires 1 Amp of current.. You could power it with a 5V power supply capable of 1,000,000 Amps and it wouldn't be a problem at all as the device would only draw the current it needs..

Manny M

Joined Jul 24, 2015
I asked the person that I bought this device from and they said since its from a real aircraft, that it gets hot to the touch, even at 5v...

Doesn't make sense to me as I didn't think 5v should create that type of heat... but I don't now as I'm new to this.

Id like to inquire if there is any quick and dirty way to determine the wiring matrix to enable switch activation. This is the matrix that Ive been given, but the only two pins that can validate are the last two as they are the +5, Gnd.

Thanks !