5V dc cirquit shutting my home electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.

יוסי שלי

Joined Aug 28, 2015
I've made a cirquit in which I've connected to another cirquit that feeds from AC.
I've connected to a 12V dc on the board and used V-Reg to take it down to 5 V which I used for the PIC and LCD Cirquit.

When connecting the Pickit 3 to the connector on the board I've build, the electricity in my house shut down!

Nothing bad happened, nothing burned up, it just shutting down the electricity in the entire home.

I've tested with a scope the 12V line which I've connected my cirquit to, and it all looks normal. a 12V dc with 600mv P2P noise!

I also found out that when I thouch the ICSP connector that comes out from my cirquit, I get elecreshooted!!!

What the hell is going on?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Draw a diagram of how you have everything connected; from the adapter plugged into the AC outlet to the ICSP connector that is giving you a shock.

Do you have multiple breakers in your power panel and you're saying that this circuit causes your main disconnect that feeds all of them to trip? The bottom line is that if a circuit powered from an AC adapter can bring down power for your entire home, you probably have more problems than anyone here can help with and you should hire a local electrician.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Normally the 'entire home' means a 100amp or a 200amp breaker tripped? Which I find Hardly likely?
You obviously do not have galvanic isolation on your home built circuit.
You need to cover safe procedures before going any further.
Max.

Howard Evans

Joined Aug 17, 2015
Nothing bad happened? I get elecreshooted sounds pretty bad to me.

Unplug everything. Step back from the bench and raise your hands. Now call someone who knows something more about electricity. No one here should be offering advice from afar concerning your potentially lethal problem.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Nothing bad happened? I get elecreshooted sounds pretty bad to me.

Unplug everything. Step back from the bench and raise your hands. Now call someone who knows something more about electricity. No one here should be offering advice from afar concerning your potentially lethal problem.
I want pictures of that PICKIT3 - after the incident. Was it a co-incidence or what is cause/effect.

יוסי שלי

Joined Aug 28, 2015
OK, relax everyone. Some people here took it too far.
I got a device connected to my main line that shut everything when it suspect of short-circuit to prevent people to be electrified!!!

That's the reason the whole power was shut down!!!

The circuit I've build is working very well when connected to the host device and no problem there. the problem arises only when I connect the ICSP to my circuit while the device is connected to the main line.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Stop. Have a qualified professional check the house wiring
I got a device connected to my main line that shut everything when it suspect of short-circuit to prevent people to be electrified!!!

The circuit I've build is working very well when connected to the host device and no problem there. the problem arises only when I connect the ICSP to my circuit while the device is connected to the main line.
If you have a GFCI and it tripped then it's likely that something is causing sneak path from hot to ground instead of the normal neutral return path. What type of AC power adapter (name & model number with any voltage information) to power the device are you using and are you using some sort of power filter or surge protector to power the adapter?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Where is the schematic?

Many of us take safety pretty seriously around here.. Your circuit should be using a transformer for isolation from the mains.

We also dislike guessing...
Instead of stating things like "I got a device" could you please just tell us exactly what it is..
And make sure to attach that schematic..

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I suspect it is a country that has a RCD/ELT/GFI 'Device' for the main disconnect, instead of individual GFI breakers as N.A.
Max.

Last edited:

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Three things. Where are you located, what is your hydro source and can you please post a schematic of what you have done. In my world, it would take something very large to shut my entire house down and there would be smoke involved. this sounds pretty interesting.

Ah ha! A load center GFI -- That makes much more sense! -- In any case you are best advised to use a line isolating PSU for your project...

Best regards
HP

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
You caused our alarm by not giving sufficient details. This forum has people from all over the world with different electrical codes. I based my response on how power is connected in my area.
Then there's a problem with your circuit. Draw a diagram of how you have it connected to your outlet. There has to be a grounding/isolation problem. You said electrocuted, but you obviously meant shocked. In my area, electrocution is fatal. In any case, if the voltage is high enough for you to be shocked, it's a dangerous situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.