556 Divider Multiplier Help

apprenticemart2

Joined May 7, 2013
Hi,

I'm trying to build this 556 voltage divider/doubler/inverter but I can't get it to work.

In the photograph, ignoring the 1000pF surface mount ceramic cap I count 5 ceramic caps and 5 electrolytics, but the schematic shows 6 electrolytics.

I think there may be a mistake in the schematic and I'm struggling to see enough detail in the photo to work out which cap may be wrong.

Maybe to the professionals something sticks out like a sore thumb?

Cheers
Martin

Attachments

Last edited:

apprenticemart2

Joined May 7, 2013
EDIT:

I think that the problem might be with one of the 47uF capacitors from pin 5 on the -5V line or the 4148?

Basically I need a circuit that will give me +10V and -5V from a +5V supply. This circuit is measuring +11.8V and -4.38 so it's more likely there's something wrong with the 10v side.

Last edited:

apprenticemart2

Joined May 7, 2013
OK. I think the odd one out is the ceramic capacitor near Pin 2 of the 556.

In the schematic I think this cap is shown as a 47uF electro and it maybe should be a 0.047uF ceramic (or a different value?)

It's the cap second from right that goes to a 4148 from 0V?

apprenticemart2

Joined May 7, 2013
Yes. I have this outputting a voltage but I think the -5V may be too low. The +10V output actually measures 12v under load which is normal for a 4116.

I just can't work out why one of the electrolytics in the schematic has become a ceramic in the picture.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Hello,

Did you connect pin 7 of the NE556?
This should be the ground pin.
(I do not see it in your schematic).

Bertus