555s in circuit simulators.

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by marx, Oct 19, 2009.

1. marx

Thread Starter Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Guys I've been fiddling around with a few different Cad/circuit simulator software (most free) and struggling to find simulators that have 555 timers in there library.

I figured being such a widely used component it would be in all. Am I missing something here? Am I supposed to import additional library's?

Thanks.

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    What simulators are you using?

Linear Technology's LTSpice has an "idealized" 555 model in it; but beware that it is idealized; a "normal" 555 will have a maximum output (pin 3) of Vcc-1.3v, and a minimum of around 0.1v (not 0v).

3. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    There is a transistor-by-transistor model of an bipolar 555 and a Cmos 555 available for download on the LTSpice User's Group on Yahoo.

4. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
  5. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Hi
    Most modern ECAD system let you ad both your own components and you can also link to spice files from 3rd part source. I read in another posting that you are using Aultium summer 09. I use altium and I have done this several times. I searched through the Altium database here http://www2.altium.com/forms/libraries/designer6/IntLib_search_ad06.asp but could not find ant sim ready 555. But if you browse the example folder ....Altium Designer Summer 09\Examples\Circuit Simulation you will find some sim ready 555 symbols.
    Also remember that the quickest way to a new symbol is to modify an existing one

6. bluebrakes

Oct 17, 2009
    I use the CADPACK isis lite software. Old now but It has the 555 timer ic in it. It works really well too.

7. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Just a note Mark
    I tested the tlc555 model from TI, in my altium designer. And it did not work in Altium. It produced an error. This means that the tlc555 model from TI is not compatible with the Altium system

8. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    TINA-TI, the texas instrument free version of TINA has multiple 555's in the library. You can import models to TINA.

9. marx

Thread Starter Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Cool thanks for the info guys, looks like I'll have to play around a bit as at the moment I wouldn't have a clue how to create/modify components that will work in simulators.

I downloaded some software called Ultralibrarian that is supposed to translate schematic symbols so that they can work in different types of capture software but I haven't bee able to get it to work properly yet.

Think I'm going to focus on using Altium as the student licence is only $150NZD a year and it seems like a very professional product, plus I think the University I'm hoping to attend next year is using it.