555 timer

theanih

Joined Oct 3, 2010
i'm building a device for blind people which vibrates if it sense an object is in the way of the device. my initial plan is to connect a photosensor to a 555 ic and its output is connected to a vibrator. what kind of circuit (astable/monostable/bistable) is the most suitable for this? i was thinking on using monostable so that everytime an the photosensor sense an object the vibrator will vibrate for several seconds. but then again you guys know more than me in this kind of thing so i'm hoping for some advice etc to make my mind.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
perhaps a small battery driven 'vibrator' motor would be better than an oscillator and speaker set up. then a simple transistor switch could activate the vibration mode. Google pager motor.

arunsjoshi

Joined Oct 22, 2010
Instead of using a vibrator or speaker, use a ceramic buzzer, which consumes much less power and emits an audible sound. I am not sure how you are going to use a photosensor.But if you are able to take care of this part, you should use it to trigger a monostable.

Last edited:

theanih

Joined Oct 3, 2010
thanks to both of you. i will try to find out about the pager motor but i may not use it at this moment as i'm just helping my friends on their project and all the components have been bought.
so monostable it is.

thanks again.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
http://www.goldmine-elec.com just got in several new pager motors, they're often on sale for 0.49. Tiny enough to be used anywhere but noticeable enough to be useful.

As much work as I put inon a ladder this week what I need is a blanket filled with them, it would be like thousands of tiny massaging fingers. :)