555 timer Tone Generator

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you look at the 555 hysteretic oscillator link I showed I have a oscillator laid out on a board that is very similar to yours. Do you want me to modify the picture to show the speaker?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, problem one, do you have a schematic you are using? I'm going through the thread, I see more than 3 referenced, but none have been declared as what you are using. I'll draw something up, but I can't tell the values of your components from that small picture. I'll make my best guesses, and can modify my schematic to fit if you get back with me.

Trying to make a project without a schematic is like building a house without plans.

DivadWaldoss

Joined Nov 16, 2011
None of the schematics matched, etc... so I kinda tried to use all three... X(
That'd be great if you drew one up! I'd really appreciate it!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, here are the schematics. I drew two. I like Circuit 1 best, but I think you were trying to go for Circuit 2.

I'll go for #2 instead.

Circuit #2

Looking at it there is some doubt it will work. I'll draw Circuit #1 also.

One other thing, the wires really do look like I've drawn them. Here is a fancier project I'm working on to show what I mean...

Attachments

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008

The other circuit depended on a clean output to work, but you are loading it pretty thoroughly with that speaker. This circuit doesn't have that problem.

In both circuits the 555 will get pretty warm, a standard speaker is a hefty load. A piezo will not load the 555 much at all.

Good luck and have fun. I got a new breadboard drawing out of the deal for my PaintCAD package.

Attachments

DivadWaldoss

Joined Nov 16, 2011
Thank you SO much! I really appreciate it! This helps so much! I'm going to go ahead and create design #1, since that's the one you think will be most successful.
So what type of speaker should I use? Does radio shack sell one that'd work that's fairly inexpensive? Also, Would I be able to cut this board in half so I could get two of them out of the 1 board? Thanks!

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
You will have a problem finding a small speaker that will produce a tone as high as 20kHz. It is called a tweeter and is made for powerful hi-fi systems so it is big and expensive.

Cheap little piezo transducers are made but their frequency response is all over the place with peaks at some frequencies and almost nothing at nearby frequencies. Greeting cards use them and their loudness is very low.

I forgot. I "hear" teenagers playing an MP3 in their earphones fairly far away. The sounds at a distance are only the highest frequencies we can hear.
Try feeding the output of your 555 oscillator to an earphone. I don't know how long it will survive.

DivadWaldoss

Joined Nov 16, 2011
How far would the sound travel from an earphone?
also, @Bill
on your schematic it show C2 between the switch and the board, but on your circuit board image it isn't. Do I follow the image, or the schematic?
thanks

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
How far would the sound travel from an earphone?
It depends on how good your hearing is, and how loud the earphone is.

also, @Bill
on your schematic it show C2 between the switch and the board, but on your circuit board image it isn't. Do I follow the image, or the schematic?
thanks
I'm not Bill, but electrically, C2 is where it should be in both schematics.

The physical layout has to be different from the schematic due to the way the physical parts are made. Schematics are drawn to be as easily understood as possible.

DivadWaldoss

Joined Nov 16, 2011
It depends on how good your hearing is, and how loud the earphone is.

I'm not Bill, but electrically, C2 is where it should be in both schematics.

The physical layout has to be different from the schematic due to the way the physical parts are made. Schematics are drawn to be as easily understood as possible.
so if I followed the image part, it'd work. To me, that's the easiest to understand. Thanks!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
What I could see, all those piezo speakers would work.

I made the images from the schematics, thats how it works.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It is continuous, the on/off switch will do it's job. If you are thinking a beeper there are ways to do that via pin 4, which is a digital input.

What are your thoughts?

DivadWaldoss

Joined Nov 16, 2011
I was thinking of having it generate like, every 10 minutes for about a minute, if thats possible. Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That is doable. My suggestion, build what you have, when you have it working I'll show you how to modify it. Which circuit are you using?

DivadWaldoss

Joined Nov 16, 2011
I'm going with circuit #1
thanks so much.
also, will my cheap greeting card speaker work for now, or do i need to wait till one of the speakers i linked to above comes in the mail? thanks

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The very cheap 400W (!) piezo tweeters "reach" to 25kHz. Then maybe with an input of 400W there is a tiny sound? The maufacturer (or buyer) does not show a curve of its response). But your 555 oscillator has an equivalent output of only 0.9W.

Your greeting card speaker might blow up with much more power than it has on a greeting card. But try it.
You can try to tune the frequency of your oscillator so it works at a peak of the cheap piezo thing.