555 timer implement

bowen

Joined Jan 15, 2008
how to derive the formula for 555 timer which is built by using one SR-FF 2 opertional amplifer and 1 bjt 4 resistor (3 5k and one unknown) with vcc =5v

algae

Joined Jan 14, 2008
Didn't I read somewhere that you can make a comparator out of an op amp with a simple mod...or am I just smoking something?

FredM

Joined Dec 27, 2005
Didn't I read somewhere that you can make a comparator out of an op amp with a simple mod...or am I just smoking something?
Its not good practice, but you can use op-amps as comparators. No mod is required, but you need to check specification against application - primary areas being voltage ranges for inputs, and differential input voltage.. Also, stability can be a problem with open-loop operation of an opamp.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Its not good practice, but you can use op-amps as comparators. No mod is required, but you need to check specification against application - primary areas being voltage ranges for inputs, and differential input voltage.. Also, stability can be a problem with open-loop operation of an opamp.
Stability (if you're talking about possible oscillation) isn't a problem. Slew rate is a problem.