555 timer help!

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by dantesinferno, Feb 21, 2013.

1. dantesinferno

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Hey guys is there any way for a 555 timer to pulse while clicking and holding a button and stop once i let go of the button? i'm new to circuits, so any help would be great! Click button/begin pulse. Hold button/continue pulse. Release Button/stop pulse.

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    There must be a hundred and one ways to do this.
    1) switch the power supply line
    2) switch the output line
    3) release short from output pin
    4) release short from timing capacitor
    5) remove GND from reset pin
    6) put AND gate on output signal
    ... and many more

3. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    Number 3 is a BAD idea.

Here is number 5 (one of the good ideas).

4. dantesinferno

Feb 21, 2013
    Thanks guys! I'm trying to pulse a solenoid/spring back and forth with a 555 timer for a simulated gun type recoil in the back of a butt stock. Would I use a digital potentiometer to control the frequencies/speed of solenoid? And and I want the signal for the computer to it to be wireless? Would an arduino be used in anyway? I'm a noob lol

5. dantesinferno

Feb 21, 2013
    I need helpppp! Lol

6. harry99932

Dec 30, 2010
    what do you mean from the computer? If your attempting to interface this to a gaming pc etc your in for a very rough ride:D If you want a frequency control on the item its self then a standard potentiometer can be used to adjust the frequency of pulsing or a microcontroller with pwm output. There are also pwm ic's available that take an analogue input signal say 0 to 5 v and use that to set pwm frequency or duty cycle

7. dantesinferno

Feb 21, 2013
    Oh LORD... lol but anyways. when i mean computer. Okay basically i want the solenoid/gun recoil to be able vibrate back and forth at different rates, due to different rates of fire ( for example a heavy machine gun shoots slower than an p90). I want to know if there is a way that a computer can change the speed/rate the solenoid moves. Would i possibly use a microcontroller to interface with the pc?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013