555 timer help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Scott O., Feb 15, 2007.

1. Scott O.

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 15, 2007
    I am trying to build a timer for a 12vdc motor. I would like it to turn on for 30 seconds, off for 30 then back on and off and on etc.

Can anyone help me with that circuit? I am not a EE but I have a working knowledge of how to do this sort of thing usually. I am just having trouble with this one. Thanks in advance!

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    If you don't mind adding a 5V regulator to your design, I believe you may want to consider setting up your 555 timer (running on 5V) as a clock source that you will feed into a binary counter (running on 5V). The output of the binary counter could then feed a MOSFET driver to handle drive to your 12V motor.

3. Scott O.

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 15, 2007
    If you have a moment, could you sketch a potential schematic. Please understand I am not an expert by any means. Thanks
  4. Lubby

Feb 20, 2007
    Scott O.

Check out Cana Kit, or simply google 555 timer, and you'll find some good sites with kits and descriptions of their possible functions. I think your looking for an 'astable' timer, or probably more likely a 'cyclic' timer. I've found a lot of info on these sites and others googled.

All the best with it.