555-Timer Alternating Blinking LED Circuit, Issue

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The digital input is so you can turn this on and off using something like the 4017 circuit shown in post #18. The fewer LEDs the brighter they are, but I think you'll be happy with the schematic as drawn. For 4.5V you must have at least 3 red LEDs in a chain or 2 blue, for more power supply voltage you can have more. The LEDs will slightly glow at 1.5V as drawn.

This is the schematic you posted on post #18. The 555 replaces the transistors.

If you want them to stay on just connect pin 4 to Vcc and eliminate the digital input circuits.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The schematic shows an ordinary 555 that has a minimum spec'd supply of 4.5V and is operating from a 4.5V battery that begins to drop immediately.
The 555 should be a Cmos one that has a minimum supply of less than the 3.6V needed for the red LEDs. The CD4017 has very low output current when the supply is only 4.5V. A high speed Cmos 74HC4017 should be used that has much more output current.

The datasheet for the battery type shows how long it lasts at a certain current. But calculating how long the battery will power the circuit is difficult because the LED brightness and battery current decrease as the battery voltage runs down. Then you must decide if very dim LEDs are still "operating".

My LED chasers still chase the 1.8V red LEDs when the 3V battery is only 1.3V but the LEDs are very dim. They use high speed Cmos 74HC14 and 74HC4017 ICs. My circuit "blinks" each LED for a very short duration so that two AA alkaline cells last a very long time (four to six months).

bfaridnia

Joined Nov 4, 2010
So far, the same set of normal batteries (cheap ones from .99 store) still work. The set totals 4.5v and each string of blues (25 and 25) have their own battery pack. So far they have been running since roughly the end of November every other day or so for about 3 hrs at a time. Not quite sure if I can accurately add up the hours, but something over 24 for sure maybe more.

The LEDS are still very bright and should work fine until we hit the spring/summer months and DST kicks in.

bfaridnia

Joined Nov 4, 2010
None of the schematics in this thread show extra battery packs.
None show the resistor value for the blue LEDs so we don't know their current.
I used this schematic:

and omitted the 'low/neg output' string and used 150ohm for the blue strands (one resistor and one led per each row). I replicated it twice (two 555's and two battery packs). I put a 1MEG POT in for R2 to adjust the pulse rate.

Last edited: