555 Question, Inhibit output

haxxx

Joined Feb 14, 2009
Hey guys, quick question.
In the attached circuit.
After the initial Trigger, which pin could i take either high or low
to prevent any future trigger from providing an output
if normally closed is reopened. This event will occur during
the initial output. and prevent future outputs.

Thanx.

Haxxx.

Attachments

Last edited:

haxxx

Joined Feb 14, 2009
I was trying to avoid pin three going low before it finished its initial output. Wouldn't dropping pin 4 low send pin 3 immediately low.

Haxxx

haxxx

Joined Feb 14, 2009
Maybe i'm not saying it clearly enough. You suggested pin 4. I asked wouldn't that immediately take my output low before the time designated by the the RC circuit which would be undesirable for my application. I want to apply a high or a low during the initial pin 3 output which would not affect that current output but inhibit any future output.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Maybe i'm not saying it clearly enough.
Nope. What you have said is clear but your understanding of the 555 is not.

You said you you want to "prevent 555 output" but in fact what you wanted is "keeping 555 with its output" once triggered.

I want to apply a high or a low during the initial pin 3 output which would not affect that current output but inhibit any future output.
This is untested.

"Pulling pin#2 low within the monostable timing period after triggering will keep 555 output high forever."

haxxx

Joined Feb 14, 2009
Ok u told me what i want. Except what i want is not a perputual high (could get a smoke for that.....heh) but a simple monostable pulse
that times out. Except after pin 3 goes low it stays low even when pin 2 is retriggered.

Haxxx

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
a simple monostable pulse that times out. Except after pin 3 goes low it stays low even when pin 2 is retriggered.
Adding a few component will do what you want.

Open or high on point X will enable normal monostable operation. A LOW on point X will let the current timing cycle to finish but prevent any future triggering.

If point X is pull LOW before any triggering, no triggering can occur.

Attachments

italo

Joined Nov 20, 2005
Unless the lm555 was redesigned
when I was not looking it is not by a tristate chip it seams to me just because there is no further transistion 0v and Vcc there is still an output. So now he must define an output. pin 4 will reset the output immidiately. and pin2 once it goes low any further lows on this chip will cause no difference not untill the tiimg has elapsed. YOU must add something a counter lm555 to reset this chip after your timing has expired .

haxxx

Joined Feb 14, 2009
I guess ur right
I did try the fix posted by "EBLC1388", it had no effect on the output.
Output expired and pin 2 was still able to retrigger. I still haven't been able to find a solution.