555 Nightmare...lol...light stays on...

Lineout

Joined Nov 20, 2013
Hi ,

I've done this with a dozen different circuits, and none of them work.

I have a pkg of 10 NE555's tested 7 of them in a lot of the circuits I put together, I have 3 left (555's) that I haven't taken out of the pkg yet.

Don't know if the whole batch is bad or I just am doing something
very wrong....

I ordered what I think is a 555 test module from ebay, don't know if that
will help.

Edit: ASTABLE

Lineout

Joined Nov 20, 2013
Ok whats the circuit your making, have you got a breadboard jig?

I've been using a breadboard.

So many circuits, I don't know where to start, I think I'll youtube a
'breadboard 555' query and copy someones exactly and see if that
will show me anything.

Also wonder if the whole batch could be bad, and if I need to wear
a wrist esd strap, thought there's not mutch statice this time of year
here.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I've done this with a dozen different circuits, and none of them work.
Take a deep breath, slow down, and show us ONE of the circuits. Tell us what the goal is (the schematic you are following), and show us a good picture or 2 of your build. Don't forget to describe your power supply.

You can find horror stories about counterfeit ICs out there, but I would estimate the odds are very low of that being your problem. It's much more likely some simple mistake that a second set of eyes will help find for you.

Lineout

Joined Nov 20, 2013
Take a deep breath, slow down, and show us ONE of the circuits. Tell us what the goal is (the schematic you are following), and show us a good picture or 2 of your build. Don't forget to describe your power supply.

You can find horror stories about counterfeit ICs out there, but I would estimate the odds are very low of that being your problem. It's much more likely some simple mistake that a second set of eyes will help find for you.
Dead Camera.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Something I'd like to point out--if your resistor values or capacitor value is too low, the LED will blink so fast you won't be able to tell it's blinking--it'll just look like it's constantly on. Use the circuit inwo posted. However, 1k and 10k resistors with a 10uF capacitor will cause it to blink at around 7Hz, which may be too fast for you to tell, depending on how good your eyes are. I suggest using a 10k and 100k instead of the 1k and 10k respectively. this will blink at 0.7Hz, which will be much easier to see.