555 Help!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Martyn, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Martyn

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Hi Guys

Can anyone help me with my question?

Im trying to make a circuit with a 555 timer that will allow me to press a momentary push to make button and then latch the output (which i have managed to do).

However I also need to the circuit to be able to switch off an output using a relay or similar when either a external -ve or +ve is detected using the same on/off switch.

I have attached a basic circuit below as to what i i have done so far.

Can any of you guys help me?

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. nepdeep

Sep 14, 2011
    -ve or +ve detected where...??...do you mean the input...do you want input over voltage protection ??

3. Martyn

Oct 27, 2010
    Basically what i want is to be able to turn somthing off with the switch using a relay or somthing like that.

Im thinking that when a 12v signal is detected it will illuminate the LED but i can override the signal with my button thus firing the relay and removing power to the LED.

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I am one of the experts on the 555 around here. Feel free to point me to your posts on them. I am writing several articles for the AAC book using them.

I think this will answer your question...

555 Bistable Multivibrator

Bill's Index (my blog)

5. Martyn

Oct 27, 2010
    Hi Bill

Thanks for the responce.

Are you saying that the circuit you posted is what i need? as i dont understand how it will let me overide when a signal is detected.

Thanks

6. nepdeep

Sep 14, 2011
    follow this dude

7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    The circuit I showed is a simple flip flop, but it can also be reset with the reset input on pin 4. I am not sure I understand your requirements, but I think this fills them. Reset on the 555 overrides all other inputs.