555 flashing led

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
Not true...4017 can be operated with a 15vdc supply.

eT
Sorry you are right, I had quickly pulled up a datasheet for a 4017 to look at the output configuration and mistakenly got hold of a 74xx4017 which of course doesn't have such a high supply tolerance as the original 4000 series. In my defence I haven't used 4000 series chips for about 20 years, but I was wrong.

Senz_90

Joined Jul 11, 2013
But don't forget to do the breadboard test first. And if needed tweaks the component value.
Sometimes I am too lazy to breadboard test because my jumper cable suck. the cable didn't flexible enough and i need a plier to inserting it. any DIY method to make from common cable? I couldn't find store here that sell like this.

Oh, btw friend, how to calculate those 680 ohm current limiting resistor? any sight?

Bill's Blog

LEDs, 555s, Flashers, and Light Chasers

The latter link has working examples of what you need.
thank you. I am just understand it a little bit. I have to see it.

Attachments

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Here is a block diagram of what I've done. You can see a movie of the simulation at http://www.tech-service.net/AAC/flashing-leds.html

The chopped DC source is at a frequency of approximately 10 times the clock frequency. This gives four to five flashes for each LED before it progresses to the next one. If you want more flashes per LED, reduce the frequency of the CLK going to the counter.

Attachments

Senz_90

Joined Jul 11, 2013
I redesigned the circuit, and make it more easier.
1. You may adding a 78L06 to reducing the Voltage from 12V to 6V.
2. Take away all the bjts.
3. Changing the CD4017 to 74HC4017 or 74HCT4017 to increasing the output current.
Thanks !! Is that applicable if I add more 1 led on series each string to make it 10 output led ? I mean 2 led connected series each string?

Senz_90

Joined Jul 11, 2013
Here is a block diagram of what I've done. You can see a movie of the simulation at http://www.tech-service.net/AAC/flashing-leds.html

The chopped DC source is at a frequency of approximately 10 times the clock frequency. This gives four to five flashes for each LED before it progresses to the next one. If you want more flashes per LED, reduce the frequency of the CLK going to the counter.
I don't understand what is chopped dc source, is that a new circuit to add or just a power source ? I have mention before that I don't really understand how this circuit worked so please bear me with my dumb question.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Thanks !! Is that applicable if I add more 1 led on series each string to make it 10 output led ? I mean 2 led connected series each string?
You can check the two blue boxs are difference.
The 10 LEDs and the values of R3, and adding a 1N4001 in series with C of 78L06.

Senz_90

Joined Jul 11, 2013
You can check the two blue boxs are difference.
The 10 LEDs and the values of R3, and adding a 1N4001 in series with C of 78L06.

I don't really understand what you mean, could you point out in the schematic?
Btw I have designed the PCB and schema with Eagle. That is from Jony130 kind advice. My skill to manual routing still a mess, but if someone want the layout, just ask me.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I don't really understand what you mean, could you point out in the schematic?
Btw I have designed the PCB and schema with Eagle. That is from Jony130 kind advice. My skill to manual routing still a mess, but if someone want the layout, just ask me.
Sorry.
When I done a double threads, then I deleted one of them, and something happened that the file I attached was deleted.

The new circuit as below, if you have the parts then you can try it, I was done a simulation with a similar parts as :
6.7V → 1N4007 → LED(3V/20mA x2) → NE555 → 4.7 Ω → GND.

On the simulation the LEDS still flashing, but I'm not sure the brightness is enough for you or not, the current of LEDs less the 10mA, the LEDs was hi-light type.

I was used 6.7V to simulate the Vout of 78L06 when it was increased from 6V to 6.7V that it was in series the 1N4001 with C of 78L06, because the Vcc of 74HC4017 has a limited on 7V, so I only can used 6.7V.

Attachments

Senz_90

Joined Jul 11, 2013
Sorry.
When I done a double threads, then I deleted one of them, and something happened that the file I attached was deleted.

The new circuit as below, if you have the parts then you can try it, I was done a simulation with a similar parts as :
6.7V → 1N4007 → LED(3V/20mA x2) → NE555 → 4.7 Ω → GND.

On the simulation the LEDS still flashing, but I'm not sure the brightness is enough for you or not, the current of LEDs less the 10mA, the LEDs was hi-light type.

I was used 6.7V to simulate the Vout of 78L06 when it was increased from 6V to 6.7V that it was in series the 1N4001 with C of 78L06, because the Vcc of 74HC4017 has a limited on 7V, so I only can used 6.7V.
No problem, sorry for my late reply. it looks like the led would not available here. my led was not hi-light type, really hard to find good components here. I am appreciate your time and work, I'll try it with breadboard because I have found ethernet cable really suitable to made as breadboard cable. thank you very much,

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
No problem, sorry for my late reply. it looks like the led would not available here. my led was not hi-light type, really hard to find good components here.
If you using the general LED 2V/20mA/5mm then you can in series with 3 LEDs.

If you only using two 2V/20mA/5mm general LEDs, then there is no need for the 1N4001 of C of 78L06, you just connecting the c to GND, and the LED current limiting resistor R3(4.7Ω/0.25W) change to 100Ω/0.25W(for continuing lighting value), if you want the LEDs more brightness then you can reducing the R3 to smaller.

I am appreciate your time and work, I'll try it with breadboard because I have found ethernet cable really suitable to made as breadboard cable. thank you very much,
I did the similar thing as what you did, but the cable is more big.

Last edited: