500 Posts

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Congrats. Yes it's an achievement. Not much of one in any real or meaningful way, but an achievement still, albeit in a small and personal way. When you get to about 666 posts, you will be the #100 poster (in terms of tallied post counts) in the history of the forum. With over 37 thousand members that have at least one tallied post and over 220 thousand total members, that means that you are a pretty significant member of this community.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thing is, that is a lot of knowledge trading brains. Today 500, 1000 coming up. It is all the more impressive when you consider English is probably not your mother tongue.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Don't get too worked up over it, it is a junk metric "for entertainment purposes only", as the saying goes.

It's difficult to come up with a decent "quality" metric. About the only one you might use would be the number of Thanks or Thanked Posts that a person has (perhaps as a fraction of their total posts to normalize things). But that has problems, not the least of which is that while posts in this forum don't count, Thanks applied to posts in this forum do.

But there really isn't a need to devise a quality metric, since what would you use it for? I suppose in some forums you might use such a metric to determine posting privileges, such as ability to post without moderation, but I sure wouldn't want to be charged with devising any kind of a reliable quality metric for a forum. That's why we have moderators!

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Don't get too worked up over it, it is a junk metric "for entertainment purposes only", as the saying goes.

It's difficult to come up with a decent "quality" metric. About the only one you might use would be the number of Thanks or Thanked Posts that a person has (perhaps as a fraction of their total posts to normalize things). But that has problems, not the least of which is that while posts in this forum don't count, Thanks applied to posts in this forum do.

But there really isn't a need to devise a quality metric, since what would you use it for? I suppose in some forums you might use such a metric to determine posting privileges, such as ability to post without moderation, but I sure wouldn't want to be charged with devising any kind of a reliable quality metric for a forum. That's why we have moderators!
Yes, you are right.

If it was me I would not use posts counting at all. Wish most of my posts were dedicated to help than asking for help. I am in continuous fear to be wrong.

And, after all, I am not entitled to crticize what makes others happy.

Hey DJ, enjoy those 5 hundreds! :)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Don't worry too much. Feel free to identify it when you are shaky on a subject and be ready and willing to do a mea culpa from time to time. I've done more than a few and I doubt there are too many of the regular posters that haven't -- and won't many times more in the future.