50 volt cap

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bladerunner, Apr 16, 2014.

1. bladerunner

Thread Starter Member

Apr 15, 2012
    I am very confused but here goes. If I place a 120 AC source on a cap that is 47 uf and 50 volt will I have a 50 volt discharge or a 120 volt. Will that be AC or DC.

bladerunner

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    The voltage rating of a capacitor is chosen based on the highest possible voltage that capacitor will see. The voltage rating has no effect on how it electricall functions only a rating of up to what voltages it can experience before its dielectric is damaged or catastrophic failure.
    Like a speed rating on a tire

3. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    If you place 120VAC on a 47μF/50V capacitor make sure you are wearing protective googles and other body protection.

Don't try this!

Johann, PackratKing and inwo like this.
  4. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    The capacitor probably will burst.

Beyond that, a capacitor is not a power supply. It cannot change AC to DC. It can modify both AC and DC, but not in any way like what you described.

ak

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  5. wmodavis

Oct 23, 2010
    You will likely let all the smoke out of the capacitor and since the smoke remaining on the inside is key for the capacitor to keep working up to capacity it is doomed for the scrap heap.

Johann likes this.
  6. Moon968

Apr 14, 2014
    If You want to change it then You have to pay some money with this.

7. bladerunner

Thread Starter Member

Apr 15, 2012
    ?????

have a nice day :>)

Bladerunner

8. bladerunner

Thread Starter Member

Apr 15, 2012
    [/QUOTE]

There is a reason I asked that question. Have a split transformer (pic attached) that has been altered to give out 110V.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  9. bladerunner

Thread Starter Member

Apr 15, 2012

Have a split trans that has been altered to get 110 V and that runs through this cap. I have included two types this fellow did. Both appear to send 110V through this 50 V capacitor unless I am measuring them wrong( which is very likely) The 14 volt measurements are across the fields. However to measure across the top field is to ----well.. This is dangerous I know but it works.

Can you tell if I am off base here.

Bladerunner

10. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    You seem to have a misconception as to what the 50V means. This number is a rating - the maximum voltage (in this case) that can be impressed on the capacitor before it will no longer be guaranteed to operate as expected (e.g. not explode)

11. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Why is the power signal going through the capacitor?
    Something is wrong with your setup.
    You need to tell us more about what you are attempting to do.

12. Brainbox

Nov 15, 2010
    At the picture I did not see a capacitor at all.
    In the schematic diagram the capacitor is not connected to anything else beside one leg of the transformer.
    What are You trying to explain with those attachements ?

13. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    The big gray oval shaped component behind the transformer looks like an AC capacitor. There are two showing in the photo.

14. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Your circuit is potentially (pardon the pun) LETHAL. You are lucky you and the cap have survived thus far. If connected in series with the 110V winding the cap should be an X2 type with a voltage rating of at least 200VAC.
    What you have is effectively a 110V transformerless supply. This is against the Terms of Service of this site. Don't be surprised if the mods close this thread.

inwo likes this.
  15. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    the diagram is probably drawn wrong, that type transformer and cap are used as a constant voltage supply, the cap across one winding of the transformer to resonate it at the line frequency. please check the accuracy of your circuit. reference "sola constant voltage supply" for more info.

inwo likes this.
  16. bladerunner

Thread Starter Member

Apr 15, 2012

Well others telling me to duck and get body armor??? lol

17. bladerunner

Thread Starter Member

Apr 15, 2012

If they do then they do a disservice to me and countless others who are using his fence chargers. He once told me that transformers and the larger capacitors were most of the problems when trying to fix one. However, don't try to understand it, just know that it works.

Now this is a fence charger that I fix routinely and am now trying to understand it because I have to replace just about everything to get it to work. If I knew what everything was then I would not need this forum. IN fact, I tried to contact someone in order to keep this thread out of the so-called spotlight. What do you want me to do. put up the whole schematic?? But I do not want to cause a problem for this forum. Have been member too long for that. If a moderator tells me it is ok to post the schematic, I will do so.

Back to the transformers. I posted a partial schematic on 'rec ridge' thread. #12 cleaned my schematic up a little.

Let me know.

Have a nice day :>)
    Bladerunner

18. bladerunner

Thread Starter Member

Apr 15, 2012
    They are two capacitors, 2-5 uf. hooked together (frame wise) and connected +/- (Guessing here, there are no markings). I know these are supposed to clean up and smooth out the AC but he used them to help with lightning strikes. Why I do not know. He was an old radio man who worked at a commercial radio station. He build fence chargers for years and those chargers were used by many many people. They are very hot. (10,000) volts but they definitely keep the animals in and the predators out. And no, I have never heard of one blowing up.

Like I said before, I am an electrician not a electronics expert. I am trying and have succeeded in restoring these boxes for people who have to dish out $800-$1500 for a fencer that would come close to doing what these do.

I have studied and have gone through just about everything book, videos, etc. in this forum and everywhere else that I can get my hands on. I have asked for help in this forum before and only get the reply (in so many words) that I am trying to do something nefarious with this setup.

If the simple two pictures I sent confuses those in this forum, then I guess I need to hang it up. There is no where else to go.

As far as the schematic, I printed up, it is used to show the transformer and its connections EXACTLY as it is. I have not changed anything. SOmeone said Signal ????Don;t know what that is, but that is where it is at.

Now anyone out there on this forum willing to help me and believe what I am telling them.

Bladerunner

19. bladerunner

Thread Starter Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Everything is as it is.?

Bladerunner

20. bladerunner

Thread Starter Member

Apr 15, 2012

Maybe I should just forget it, to if a senior member cannot figure it out. These chargers work and have been for twenty or more years.

have a nice day :>)

Bladerunner