50 Amp RV outlet

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by rockshow, Feb 15, 2007.

1. rockshow

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 15, 2007
    I had an electrician hook up a 50 amp Rv hook up on a new garage I just built. He had ran 10-2 w/G instead of 10-3 W/g. We are in Indiana. He used the ground as his 3rd wire, and ran a seperate ground to a ground rod. Is this all right, and will it work sufficiantly?? Thanks for any help

2. wireaddict

Nov 1, 2006
    Does your RV use 120 or 240 V? Also, 30 or 50 amps? Most [all but the biggest motor homes] use 120 V; if yours runs on 120 V then the number of wires is OK but I'm far more concerned about the size of the wire. #10 wire is only rated at 30 amps. You didn't indicate what size breaker [or fuses] he connected the wire to; if he used a 50 A breaker then he should've used at least #8 wire or, better yet, #6. Also, did he add a separate ground rod? If so, it needs to be hard wired to the rest of your grounds so that in case of a fault, like a hot wire shorting to ground in your RV, it will have a direct wired path back to your main panel so it can trip the breaker or blow a fuse & clear the fault. If that's an isolated ground rod there may be enough resistance through the ground to prevent the breaker from tripping & the frame of your RV would stay hot which is a big safety hazard.

So, to summarize, for 120 V, 30 A, #10-2 w/g is OK; for 120 V, 50 A, use #6-2 w/g; for 240 V, 50 A, use #6-3 w/g cable. [I've never heard of 240 V, 30 A service to an RV so I didn't mention it.] And make sure your ground wire in this cable is connected to the ground bus in the main panel.