$50 - $250 for This Small PCB?

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
That looking pretty good. :)

Well actually I don't need any mounting holes, it's going to be used for a breadboard anyways, so it would be kinda pointless to add them.

I may need a bigger PCB in the future with everything together, but that wont be for a while down the road.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Just my $0.02 but wouldn't it look neater if the trace from pad 1 ran horizontally through the middle of all the switches?
If the switches are anything like the ones I have then both of the pins on the left are internally connected, same for the right.

exscape

Joined Jan 19, 2012
http://www.olimex.com/pcb/index.html

I haven't used them myself yet, but I've read mostly positive things. Their boards look really good, and people seem happy with them. Not surprising, considering that the prices are way better than the industry average: 16x10 cm w/ double-sided with solder mask and silkscreen for $40, and in just 3-5 days + shipping.

colinb

Joined Jun 15, 2011
http://www.olimex.com/pcb/index.html

I haven't used them myself yet, but I've read mostly positive things. Their boards look really good, and people seem happy with them. Not surprising, considering that the prices are way better than the industry average: 16x10 cm w/ double-sided with solder mask and silkscreen for $40, and in just 3-5 days + shipping.
Don't forget Laen's DorkbotPDX PCB order. I use it regularly. The weekly order comes out to US$1.66/in^2 and the medium-run order is only US$1.00/in^2. US shipping included. It's fabulous quality and there's no minimum board size for the regular weekly order.

I can get pcb's from China at a fraction of the price they are in the UK.
A UK tooling charge is more than what I pay for 10 pcbs from China.

However the Chinese pcb makers can vary a lot.
You will need to get a few quotes to find the best deal.

colinb

Joined Jun 15, 2011
I can get pcb's from China at a fraction of the price they are in the UK.
A UK tooling charge is more than what I pay for 10 pcbs from China.

However the Chinese pcb makers can vary a lot.
You will need to get a few quotes to find the best deal.
Any recommendations for good and cheap PCB manufacturers in China that will do only 10 pieces? Most I have seen are designed for medium to high volume production.

I have heard that Gold Phoenix has good quality. But you need to order 1000 cm^2 minimum. Here's a comparison between Gold Phoenix and Olimex. Note the Gold Phoenix has much better minimum clearances than Olimex (7 mil standard at GP; 10 mil standard at Olimex with 8 mil taking extra time).

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
I've ordered twice from Gold Phoenix, both times with multiple designs on the same panel, and I'm a satisfied customer. I can't help re Olimex.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Another nice job. Not only is home etching cheaper for 1-offs, you can have the result a lot faster. I could have a PCB in my hand in way under an hour.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
wow that is sexy :)
Thanks.

Nice... did you etch it yourself? If so, what is your process?
Yes, this is etched at home, in my convertible kitchen lab. :D I got the process covered here

Another nice job. Not only is home etching cheaper for 1-offs, you can have the result a lot faster. I could have a PCB in my hand in way under an hour.
Thanks. The 1-offs and 2-offs is a lot faster. From the time I print the transparent it takes 10 min UV- exposure, 15-20 sec development, 8-11 min etching. A most, I have a brand new PCB in 30 min.