$50 - $250 for This Small PCB?

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
I must have gave them the wrong size PCB, but why is it so expensive to produce my PCB?

I've posted a pic of it and it's very small and simple, heck it doesn't even require ICs. All it is, is a board with buttons and resistors. 1 layer, 2 side schematic board.

I dont suppose someone out there can development me a SMD PCB board with 3 holes instead of the PCB I have now if they like to earn some money? I can use surface mount tack switches, it's just that the software I used didn't come with surface mount switches... I would make one myself, but I simply don't have the resources or time to make one. :(

Attachments

Last edited:

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
I actually did make a PCB version in Eagle, but I have the lite version which was driving me up the wall. With it's annoying dialog box of "cant perform this action in lite!"

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I actually did make a PCB version in Eagle, but I have the lite version which was driving me up the wall. With it's annoying dialog box of "cant perform this action in lite!"
Almost the most annoying message in the world... Except the good old:
Syntax error
Ready

Do you still have it? The schematic?

Last edited:

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
You can say that again.

Yes I still have it, you can take a look at it. I'm not making anything mind blowing. ... yet. ;)

Attachments

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Oh. Eagle version 6.x.x?

Hang on. I'll upgrade my laptop...

EDIT:
(Laptop upgraded)
Ok... So, what is the big deal with this?

EDIT 2:
Do you have a deadline?

Last edited:

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
No, there is no deadline ether there is a big deal with the circuit, I'm just getting over charged on something I could make myself if I had a laser printer. If I was going to fork out that much I may as well buy a small one and spend $30 dollars extra for supplies just to build a simple PCB.

I'm just wondering why something like this small and simple is so much to a manufacture? Wouldn't it be better if I hired someone who does this sorta thing as a hobby if he or she wants to earn some extra cash? I'm just too busy getting work and school done, that I really dont have the time and money to blow $260 dollars.

Last edited:

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I must have gave them the wrong size PCB, but why is it so expensive to produce my PCB?:(
There is always a minimum tooling charge on every new design. Another thing you may not know: when they mass produce PC boards, they can't make just one board they make a "panel" which is about a foot wide and two feet long. The panel will have all the PCBs that fit in that area.

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
That makes sense now. So then yes, it would be much more economic, to ether hire a person to make one or build your own from scratch if you just need one or two. I don't suppose any of you know who would be interested making a PCB?

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
I don't suppose you can tell me where I can find the SMD tact switches and terminal block that insert jumper wires such as the Arduino has somewhere in Eagle's Libraries before I send it? I'm still new to Eagle and PCB board designing if you haven't noticed. ;)

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
No, there is no deadline ether there is a big deal with the circuit, I'm just getting over charged on something I could make myself if I had a laser printer.
If you don't have a laser printer, have you thought of putting your board files on a 'thumb drive' and going to a place like KINKOS and having it printed. Then you could etch it yourself.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Why people continue to use Eagle when FreePCB is available, is beyond my comprehension.

SparkFun offers a service where they will make people's small PCB's fairly cheaply, by combining orders to make up a minimum size:
http://batchpcb.com/index.php/Products

And anyway, for most purposes (like if you can avoid surface mount parts) you can build small designs quickly on perf board.

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
If you don't have a laser printer, have you thought of putting your board files on a 'thumb drive' and going to a place like KINKOS and having it printed. Then you could etch it yourself.

Yeah I could do that, that is a option come to think of it.

John P said:
SparkFun offers a service where they will make people's small PCB's fairly cheaply, by combining orders to make up a minimum size
That's pretty cool, I didn't know they did that. =) I'll have to think of which one to go with since of course both are going to require money and time, but since this design is so small and pay someone for their time, I may as well pay to get it built for me.

you can build small designs quickly on perf board.
This is supposed to be my first SMD board, so I'm trying to steer away from through hole mount. ;)

Last edited:

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I don't suppose you can tell me where I can find the SMD tact switches and terminal block that insert jumper wires such as the Arduino has somewhere in Eagle's Libraries before I send it? I'm still new to Eagle and PCB board designing if you haven't noticed. ;)
Let me know if you find it, and if you do, and want, I'll make the board. :)

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Go check out ExpressPCB. While you need to use their (free) software to lay the board out it is a very cheap and fast way to get PCBs, both for SMD and thru hole. Just $51 plus about $10 shipping for 3 boards 3.8 x 2.5" Add $24 ($75) for solder mask and silkscreen.

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
Let me know if you find it, and if you do, and want, I'll make the board. :)
I dont suppose you have the paid for version of Eagle do you? Cause I can give you the board version, and the library's I used if you dont mind placing the parts on the board.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I dont suppose you have the paid for version of Eagle do you? Cause I can give you the board version, and the library's I used if you dont mind placing the parts on the board.
I've bought the Hobbyist Licence.

Send the files to me, I don't mind giving a shot at placing them.:)

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
Okay I placed the library and src I used, see what you can do out of it. :)

A little note on the design, could you get the buttons in a single row?

Do you have Paypal btw? I'll pay for shipping too also.

EDIT:
It's kinda undecided, but more then likley I'm going to be using 100-150 ohms on all of them and I think I may use 1-10uf Cap.

Attachments

Last edited: