5 volt regulator problem

yonitsubery53

Joined Jan 21, 2014
I hooked up my 5 volt regulator (LM2940CT) to a 9 volt battery, but for some reason the output voltage is 6.5(approx.). I checked everything but i couldn't find the problem, I also tried different regulators but I still had the same problem.
So if someone can tell me what might be the problem it would be great.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
What is the full part number. Does it say, LM2940CT5.0? Or does it say LM2840CT9?

The LM2940 comes in various voltage output versions.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I said it was 5 volts

That is awfully rude. Gopher is just trying to help and make sure you have the right part. What is wrong with providing the full part number that you are using? And a schematic for that matter?

And you never answered the question on a load. Are you measuring the supply with a load?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Aren't capacitors needed just for smoothing out the voltage for frequency stuff ? (sorry if my questions are dumb)
No. They also stabilize the device to prevent oscillations (which can appear as a change in voltage when measure with a DC meter).

Last edited:

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I hooked up my 5 volt regulator (LM2940CT) to a 9 volt battery, but for some reason the output voltage is 6.5(approx.). I checked everything but i couldn't find the problem, I also tried different regulators but I still had the same problem.
So if someone can tell me what might be the problem it would be great.
The 2940 and 2941 series are notorious for oscillating if you don't have the right input and output capacitors. When they do, a DMM will read the wrong output voltage because there is an AC component and it is peak reading that along with the DC level.