4yr old Robot Build Idea ?¿?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Dr.killjoy, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Dr.killjoy

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Well I had custody of my son Monday and Tuesday and my son came up with the idea of building a robot .. He is 4 yrs old and I would like some ideas on a simply robot build we could build togther and he could possibly understand ???

Thanks
    Jay Sr

Sorry if posted in the wrong section.. No coffee yet and figuring out a 7.3 power stroke diesel and my mind is a little out there...

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Building something is a great idea for a father/son project. I see so many people that are literally crippled in their minds by the notion that they cannot accomplish various things. My father was just the opposite and it rubbed off on me. I assume I can do anything until the facts come in to prove otherwise. Teaching the next generation to not be afraid to dive in, work hard and accomplish something, is an important responsibility of being a parent.

But a 4-yr old has little patience, and a robot would be a challenging project for anyone. The simple robot kits you can buy may not be what your son envisions when he says "robot", which to him might be a Transformer. I would start with MUCH smaller projects and see how they go. Learning patience and persistence would be one goal, with lots of positive feedback from accomplishing steps along the way to keep him engaged.

3. ISB123

May 21, 2014
    You could try something simpler.Maybe a small toy car powered with DC motor and 9V battery. You could build it from lighter wood .Later you can upgrade it to a tank so you got 2 DC motors that control 1 wheel each and than he just uses two switches to control direction.

4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Moving this from General Electronics Chat to Projects Forum.

Dr.killjoy likes this.
  5. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    Thanks ...

6. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Google Lego Robotics Kits.

Dr.killjoy likes this.
  7. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    Never thought of that, Thanks .. Sorry never really was a fan of legos ....

8. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
  9. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009