4x4 LED Cube Question??

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Dr.killjoy, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Dr.killjoy

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2013
    My son is 4 Yrs olds and still afraid of the dark.. So I was looking into building a 4x4x4 led cube to help him out and just something to remember me when I dont have custody of him.. Sorry for the sobe story.. My question is do I need to use a arduino board or can I use a simply solderless breadboard desgin ???

Thanks
    Jay Sr

Ps. I love the raining effect.

2. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    Be aware that most 4 year old boys will want to pull wires out of holes and not know where they came from. I would suggest that all connections other than power source be soldered and the entire unit placed in a clear box. Power source could be a wall wart.

Dr.killjoy and GopherT like this.
  3. Dr.killjoy

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2013
    That was my plan so far and this was to be put on a shelf away from little hands ... Plus I am trying to get my son interested and he has helped me a couple times measuring resistors with my fluke 87..

Jay Sr

4. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    What I have done with Arduino projects is to use the Uno board to develop the program, then move the uProcessor to perf board (the kind with solder pads at each hole) with proper support hardware (crystal, caps, resistors, etc) for the final project. I built a garage door controller with real-time-clock, 16X2 display, rotary encoder (to set the clock), two relays (one to open/close the door and one to set/reset the security feature built into the opener.)