4x 1W LED Home Bargains (UK).

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ian field, Jan 10, 2014.

1. ian field

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Just been in Home Bargains, they have 4W GU10 LED lamps, there are 4 individual SMD LEDs on a single puck.

At £2.99p - I just couldn't resist the 4 power LEDs for under £1 each. The flyback converter is tiny, 4 LEDs volt drop is pretty close to the maintaining voltage for a lead-acid battery, and its pretty certain to be current regulated.

Once the retaining bezel is pried off, the lens falls out and the 4 LED puck can be lifted out to cut the wires, the heatsink/reflector unscrews from the plastic base - the PCB is held in with a blob of glue, I found it easier to chip chunks out of the plastic base until it was possible to break the PCB loose.

2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Photos????

3. ian field

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    It never crossed my mind to bother photographing a lamp you can walk into a store and look at all you want.

Now all the scrap bits have been binned and the useful bits put in a tin waiting for me to think of a project that uses them.

Most of the ones at double the price I've seen in stores, you can see by looking that the LEDs are hexagonal neighbours and block cut from the wafer - you use all or none of the LEDs on that puck.

The one I bought, you can see that its 4 individual SMD LEDs.