47V to 12V RGB Strip Controller

Triverse

Joined Sep 13, 2016
Hey Everyone!

I'm working on a project and I have NO idea where to start. To make a long story short, I work as a mechanic bowling alley, and one by one, the RGB LED lights over the pins have been going out. They're really expensive and the management has been "discussing budgeting" for months (they run from $100 to $300 a piece). I thought I would go out of my way and make a cheaper alternative with 12V LED strips from Amazon. So the issue I'm running into is that the DMX controlling the current pin lights outputs 47.8V for each LED (28V per LED for white to reduce heat). I'd like to create a voltage regulator to safely power 12V LED strips while simultaneously controlling the color through the preexisting DMX. Preferably through an Arduino, but I'm not opposed to creating a PCB and populating it myself or having it populated elsewhere. I can post any photos to help. If this isn't the right place for this post, please let me know.

Cheers,
Max

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
you probably want to figure out where the problem is.

in the short term, try to put four 12v leds in a string and see if that works. if that doesn't work, put three leds in a string and put a resistor there. Sizing the resistor to get the desired current for the leds.

be a little bit careful with a regulator here, particularly a dc/dc regulator as the line may carry (pulsed) data and if so, most dc/dc regulators wouldn't work.