4541 Power On Reset

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Clarence Donath, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Clarence Donath

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Hello helpful allaboutcircuits forum people,

I have one of these kits, http://www.canakit.com/universal-1-hour-start-stop-timer-kit-ck158b-uk158b.html

It works perfectly for my needs, except that it "starts" when power is applied. The IC is a HEF4541B.

I observed that holding pin 6 (MR) low on power up keeps the timer from activating, but this cannot be held low all the time since triggering a start causes the power supply to short. I'm thinking what I need is a short delay in holding pin 6 low at power up. Is there a simple RC network that can do this?

Thank you

2. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    It's difficult to offer advice without a schematic. You might get the wrong advice and end up with your timer damaged.

3. Clarence Donath

Apr 29, 2011
    You're right, I know. I don't have a schematic as it is a kit. However, pin 6 is unconnected. Knowing that holding pin 6 (MR) low already does what I need, I just need to come up with something that'll do this at power up.

4. k7elp60

Nov 4, 2008
    Looking at the data sheet, pin 6 (MR) needs to go high to reset the timer. If you want to activate the MR(pin 6) on power up. Connect a 0.1uf capacitor between pin 6 and VDD, Connect a 100KΩ resistor between pin 6 and ground (VSS) The value of the capacitor and the resistor determine the timing. With the above conditions pin 5 should be connected to VSS

5. Clarence Donath

Apr 29, 2011
    Thank you for your reply k7elp60.

I didn't have any luck experimenting with that configuration.

What I've found, by experimentation, is that holding pin 6 on VSS at power up cancels the start cycle. I then release the connection of pin 6 to VSS and start/stop operations function as normal. The normal configuration of pin 6 in this circuit is floating. It's not connected to anything.

Is there a circuit I can use that will make a connection to GND for a second, more or less, at power up, then release it to an unconnected state while powered up?

6. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    It's not recommended practice leaving CMOS inputs floating - they should be tied to an input - albeit to GND or Vcc if unused. Are you positive that pin is actually floating?

7. Clarence Donath

Apr 29, 2011

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You are absolutely correct t_n_k. Pin 6 is indeed tied to the BGR resistor straight up from pin 1, which in turn is connected to the kit's STOP header. I failed to realize there are traces under the IC socket that couldn't see with the chip installed.