4060 chip for seconds and hours

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Start with the voltage on pin 16. It should be the power supply voltage. The schematic does not show any direct connections to pins 8 and 16. There are two small arrows marked 8 and 16, but you have to know the secret code to figure out that these must be connected to the 4060 pin numbers.

One of the problems with a long-range timer is that things change very slowly. Pin should be low for about 5 seconds, then high for about 5 seconds. Pin 10 should be the opposite of pin 9.

ak

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
If I were you, I would first check power: make sure that ground is properly connected, there is power on the chip and there is no excessive current.

From that, I would check RESET.

After that, parallel a resistor to one of the timing resistors to see if you get oscillation.

Once you have oscillation, it is easier to debug the circuit.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Lets start with the supply, then reset pin, then oscillator pins 9,10, 11.

Have you got a Non Polarised capacitor for C3, if not it won't work....

Danielpalfrey

Joined Mar 29, 2016
I
Lets start with the supply, then reset pin, then oscillator pins 9,10, 11.

Have you got a Non Polarised capacitor for C3, if not it won't work....
It is a none polarised. I also have 22k caps coming just in case. I have power at pin 16 and earth or ground whichever you prefer at pin 8 these test right wother multi meter

Danielpalfrey

Joined Mar 29, 2016
pin 8 = current with negative probe
pin 16 = current on positive probe
pin 12 = current on both probes more on positive

I guess that means something is wrong?

Danielpalfrey

Joined Mar 29, 2016
Basically Pin 12 has a positive current. I only mention the negatives because I was checking where the "earths" were. I know how to use a multimeter

Danielpalfrey

Joined Mar 29, 2016
Pin nine pulses every 3-4 seconds Leds are in the right wat around. Short leg at the top (the earth)

I though of a dud led so got another one and jumped circuit. Probed both ends of that led and was showing a current but led does not light