4026 decade counter and 7 segment display

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Spence, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Spence

Thread Starter Member

Apr 23, 2010
    I've got some 4026's counting and displaying the count on 7 segment displays, all working fine.

But what I want to do is display the frequency, not the count.

The 4026 has facility to blank the display, reset, and stop/start clock.

I can't seem to get my head round how to do it because the stop clock function seems to blank the display.

I've got a 555 timer connected to a 4027 flipflop, set to give 1 second high, 1 second low.

Any advice appreciated.

Nilesh Varpe likes this.
  2. tom66

May 9, 2009
    You need to gate the signal. Say you want to measure 100 Hz. If you gated it for 1 second you would count 100 ticks and this would be displayed. You could then reset for another measurement. Best to use a precision oscillator for the 1 second reference.

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Tom has the right of it, but first you need to make a multidigit counter, I would recommend 6 digits, but 4 would work.

In addition to measuring frequency, measuring period is also an extremely useful feature.

While a AND gate is clocked to measure frequency, the same AND gate can be clocked with a precision time base and the measured frequency is used to enable the AND gate. It is a very minor change that gives a different parameter.