4017 troubleshooting

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Nickage, May 30, 2013.

1. Nickage

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Hey all,

using this link as a guide:

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/chpt_7/6.html

My problem is, instead of LEDs, i'm driving relays. Occassionally, the sequence goes out of sequence, for example instead of 1-2-3-4 every time, I get sporadic 2-3-4-1.

What causes this? I don't have any diodes on the coil side for back-emf, and the relays are the micro relay type. Any ideas?

2. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    I think there are interference from the relay coils or contacts. Did you put a diode across each relay coil? Did you put a few 0.1uF caps across the VCC and GND and one close to the 4017?

Allen

3. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Post your schematic and the relay specifications.

If your powering the circuit by a battery, your battery voltage could be spiking too low.

4. edwardholmes91

Feb 25, 2013
    The OP mentions in their post that they haven't put any diodes in for back EMF. I would recommend just popping a 1N4001 for good measure across each relay coil. And as absf mentions, sprinkling a few 100nF caps over the supply pins of the ICs is always a good idea.

5. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    This is the same circuit that is being discussed in this thread.

With no resistance between pin 7 and pins 6/2, the pulse from the 555 is very short. I don't have a scope good enough to measure it, but it may be less than 5 microseconds. I strongly recommend lengthening that pulse width by putting a resistor between pin 7 and pins 6/2. A 1M resistor inserted there will give a nice 4.8 Hz clock with a 67% duty cycle.

All the other noise suppression suggestions given here should be followed as well. Finally, I would place a .01 μF cap from pin 5 to ground.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  6. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    how are you driving your relays-are you using transistors to drive them?as in the two examples ive got here-plus there is no reset for the 4017....

7. edwardholmes91

Feb 25, 2013
    There is a reset for the 4017. It is pin 15. If you connect the output pin after your total count to the reset it will only count to there before it resets. Have a look at this electronic dice to see what I'm reffering to.

8. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    i meant the reset was tied lo-if you include a capacitor to supply and a resistor to ground you get a switch on reset,include a diode as shown and you have a counter which is reset on switch on and is reset at whatever count depending on the output you use with your diode....

9. edwardholmes91

Feb 25, 2013
    I don't think you need a reset when you turn it on because it doesn't remember where is has got to anyway. The electronic dice that I linked you to always start with dice number two because the 4017 always turns on with the same output high.

10. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    its up to who ever builds the circuit ,just means the ic will have a random output hi on power up not a problem if it isnt required to start from Q0 everytime on power up-just my preference when using 4017`s in my led controllers to have a power on reset so all logic starts off in a pre defined state and i was referring to the schematic in this link

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/chpt_7/6.html

11. edwardholmes91

Feb 25, 2013
    With the 4017 that I'm using for an electronic dice it always starts with Q0 on high every time for some reason. Not a problem to me... I don't mind which output starts high for this application.

12. Nickage

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Just to update, I tried adding caps, and diodes on the coils of the relay to prevent back emf, and I'm still not getting consistent startup at q0 every time. I'm only using q0-q2, then resetting.

13. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    As was requested back in May, post a schematic of what you have actually built. Without a schematic, anyone who tries to help is either reading your mind or guessing.