400hz to 60hz converter

alim

Joined Dec 27, 2005
Hi to all, I want to use a 60 hz vacuum cleaner on a 400hz power source, can anyone advise me of a circuit that can achieve this. My reason for asking is that a relative of mine purchased a 60 hz unit for the company she works for without knowing the difference in frequency,and she is in a a bit of difficulty with her boss, I would be happy if anyone can advise on a way forward. Thanks for your assistance, alim.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The Navy may still run it's electronics on 400 Hz power, but 50/60 Hz is pretty much standard for the rest of the world. Where is she plugging into 400 Hz mains?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
You may find some surplus aircraft/military stuff to convert. Most of what I remember was motor-generator based and went DC to 400Hz. So, then you rectify the 60 Hz and use the converter from that. John

alim

Joined Dec 27, 2005
Hi to all thanks for the replies.Externet I do not know but would guess it has a universal motor. Beenthere I am of the opinion there is a source of 110v/400hz. available, I will check and clarify.Thanks again and am looking forward for any other input.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The whole purpose of using 400 Hz. AC power on aircraft is weight reduction of the components. I never heard of it being used on the ground. AFAIK changing the frequency of AC power requires a motor and a generator with an appropriate coupling.

techroomt

Joined May 19, 2004
imho it would be easier to find a 400 hz motor the size and rpm your application requires, then it would be to convert 400 hz to 60 hz. as others said, you'll likely need to look military surplus, as most aircraft i'm familiar with utilize 400 hz. you may want to double check that power source again though.