4 to 1 MUX K-Map

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Lurid, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Lurid

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    I've been trying to do this problem for the past 5 hours... I can't figure out how to do it. I've looked at online references and posted powerpoints about multiplexers, but I've never found any help with solving a problem like this.

I attempted to draw out the decoder with two inputs S0 and S1 going to AND gates with lines I0-I3 going into those AND gates then the outputs of those AND gates OR'd w/ each other to represent the inside of the multiplexer, but after I got some sort of a visual representation of the problem, I encountered a problem with only 8 outputs 0 - 7 excluding 8 and 9 because in the problem, it says S(0,2,3,4,5,7,8,9) which is representative of the SOP based on 16 outputs 0 - 15. Then I became puzzled how to get outputs 0 - 15 with only 3 bits, I(n) S1 and S0, which is impossible. You can't make a number greater than 7 with three bits...

So I decided to try to make a K-map of the SOP given, but then I encountered the problem if you had a 4x4 K-map then you're missing a fourth variable to represent the most significant place value of the numbers from 0 - 15.

Then I got stuck and tried reviewing more resources...

Please anyone... your help would be greatly appreciated. x_x

[​IMG]

2. Lurid

Nov 24, 2010
    Sorry for double-posting, but I made a representation of the k-map I drew up in mspaint.

The red represents another solution. I'm sure I didn't do this right, but if someone can correct me, this is what I thought I needed to do.

Thanks.

=)

[​IMG]

3. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Don't be fooled: you do have 4 variables and you can use a MUX, but a few gates will still be needed. A 4-to-1 MUX can implement by its own (no gates needed) only a 3 variable function as you said.

Let's assume that your function depends on the variables A,B,C,D, that is F=F(A,B,C,D). Make a truth table of the function. The first two columns of the table will contain A and B permutations. Use A and B as your MUX select inputs.

Now you have another three columns containing permutations of C and D and the function output. Notice that A and B change every 4 rows. That means that a group of 4 rows corresponds to one MUX input. That input will accept the boolean subfunction that is formed by the subtable containing the 4 rows of the variables C and D and the output.

Post the truth table and I'll tell you more.

4. Lurid

Nov 24, 2010
    Here is the truth table:

[​IMG]

5. Lurid

Nov 24, 2010
    I realized now that to use a 4 to 1 MUX, I'm going to have to basically build more circuitry on the outside of the MUX before lines I0 - I3 right?

And the boolean expressions in SOP (canonical form) modeling the truth table would be:

(A'B'C'D') + (A'B'CD') + (A'B'CD) + (A'BC'D') + (A'BCD) + (AB'C'D') + (AB'C'D)

which can be implemented using a series of ORs and AND gates, but how do I answer the question which asks, "Give the inputs I0 to I3 so that a 4-to-1 MUX will implement the following function when connection C and D to S1 and S0 respectively."

My question rephrased would be how would I take the boolean expression and use it to find the inputs to I0 - I3? Or do I find a reoccurring pattern in the truth table?

6. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Check rows 0-3. These have {S1,S0}={0,0} and therefore refer to input 0 of the MUX. This input will have the boolean funtion that is defined by C,D and F for the first 4 rows, that is F0=(C+D').

When A,B point to the first MUX input the output of the MUX will be C+D'. Check the truth table. Isn't that what we want?

Do the same for the 3 remaining groups of 4 rows.

7. Lurid

Nov 24, 2010
    Interesting, so the next groups are:

S0 S1 : F1=(C'+D)
    0 1

S0 S1 : F2=(AC') *Question: Are you allowed to use A and B to find F2??? I can't seem to find another way to get the outputs for F2 if I don't use A ANDed with C'?
    1 0

S0 S1 : F3=(A(x)B) *Same for this one... I'm not seeing the combination of C and D.
    1 1

EDIT: Am I limited to only using C and D and AND and OR operations? or can I use XOR or XNOR or NAND operations?

RE-EDIT: I took a break and came back to it and I realized I was overthinking it... F2=C' and F3=0

Are my answers in the re-edit correct?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  8. Skynt

Nov 27, 2010
    I think you have the wrong selectors on the truth table judging by the question, since it mentions C and D and not A and B as the selectors S1 and S0.

Using the truth table, the way you want to look at these is starting with I_{0}. Simply look at the entries for C and D that are 0 and 0, and construct a karnaugh map based on these.

For example, here's the truth table for A and B when C and D are both 0.

Code ( (Unknown Language)):
    2.   A  |  B  |   F
    3. ------------------
    4.   0     0      1
    5.   0     1      1
    6.   1     0      1
    7.   1     1      0
    Now just create a 2-variable karnaugh map and you've got your expression for I_{0}. Looking at this one using a program real quick, I_{0}= A' + B'. You just continue that process for all the inputs.

EDIT: It ruined my format for the table :(

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2010
  9. Lurid

Nov 24, 2010
    Thank you both very much. I was able to solve the question. I understand how to do it now.

10. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Your subfunctions are all correct (after the revisions). I know we solved them with A and B being the selector inputs, but that's ok. Just replace all As and Bs with Cs and Ds and vice versa on the final circuit.

11. Lurid

Nov 24, 2010
    Thanks very much Geo.