4-bit even parity generator - am I right?

mpaska85

Joined Mar 4, 2011
Hi, just like some feedback if I've tackled a problem from my homework from the right angle in my introductory computer engineering unit.

We've been given the problem to design a 4-bit even-parity generator using only AND, OR and NOT gates.

The logic diagram I have come up with is:

And here is my truth table:

Does this look correct? Any help will be appreciated! This is my first assignment, and we have to implement it on a breadboard in class and I'm a little hesitant at how many gates my circuit requires so I have a feeling I'm on the wrong path.

Heavydoody

Joined Jul 31, 2009
I am just now taking digital logic, but, for what its worth, given the gate restrictions, I don't see any simplifications. Well, you do realize you only need four NOT gates, right?

mpaska85

Joined Mar 4, 2011
Thanks Arbitrator, that's definitely a more simplified version then my attempts. However before I move on I really want to get to that answer by myself.

My boolean expression that I ink out from my k-map is ABCD' + ABC'D + AB'CD + AB'C'D' + A'B'CD' + A'B'C'D

Is there a further simplification rule that I am missing?

Arbitrator

Joined Mar 10, 2011
yes i got a 8 expressions of groups of a,b,c,d . i don't know if you can group anything from k-map since they all diagonal.
i got A'B'CD' + A'BC'D' + ABCD' + ABC'D + AB'CD + AB'C'D' + A'BCD + A'B'C'D

how did you simplify out AB'C'D' and A'BCD?

mpaska85

Joined Mar 4, 2011
Yeap, that's the expression I've been getting too. In the interest of actually learning this, what method do I use to get the expression used in your circuit diagram?

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
we did this in a lab a few weeks back, there is no way to use k-maps to simplify Boolean. You can only simplify this further if you use Boolean logic to get XOR expressions by combining (in pairs) A'B'CD'+A'B'C'D to get A'B'(C XOR D) - eventually it is a simple implementation with XOR gates only, if XORs are unavailable, they can be implemented with regular gates, as is done in the diagram posted above.

Arbitrator

Joined Mar 10, 2011
we did this in a lab a few weeks back, there is no way to use k-maps to simplify Boolean. You can only simplify this further if you use Boolean logic to get XOR expressions by combining (in pairs) A'B'CD'+A'B'C'D to get A'B'(C XOR D) - eventually it is a simple implementation with XOR gates only, if XORs are unavailable, they can be implemented with regular gates, as is done in the diagram posted above.
i understand it now you explained it like that. :)