3x Solar Panels Not Charging Cellphone Help Please

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
Using a Step Up (Boost Converter), that takes an input voltage of supposedly 0.9v - 5.5Vdc.
Then it output 5Vdc @ 1.0A.

I've used the Step up Module SEVERAL times in the past with a 3.7v MNKE IMR 26650 Battery.

Works PERFECTLY. In fact, after running a few tests it performs BETTER than charging threw
USB Port on XBOX 360 Controller Charging Dock USB Output ports. Also works better than USB 3.0 port on Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 Laptop Ports. Outputs a Perfect 5.0218Vdc @ 0.400 -/+ Amps.z

So now my 3x Solar panels got here today, and I was eager to test them out, and see if I could use them with the boost converter. Tested the output voltage of each solar panel, and they were outputting 3.8vdc using 23watt CFL Lamps (5,300 kalvin Temp Color "daylight")..

They are rated for 4.5Vdc @ 1.5 watt @ 0.334 Amps output. I have the spec sheets that came inside each package, and that's what the exact specs are. (2770051) Is they're names.

WHY ARE THEY OUTPUTTING ONLY 2.081 Volts DC, at only freaking 0.003 Amps (3,184 uA) ?

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.. Hooked up this way, the two that are in Series on the right output about 7.2 volts DC, and then on the left, I have one of em hooked up to the other two panels in parallel.

They are only measuring the current & voltage going into the Boost Converter.. Only reads 2.0 volts, and only 0.003 Amps. I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Can someone please help or try to shine a little light on what I might be doing wrong? Please..? I'd really appreciate it. I've measured the current the correct way. I hooked the Red Test lead to the Red (Possitive) of the Solar Panel Positive output, and I hooked the Black Test Lead to the Red INPUT of the source where the positive connection is going to. So basically testing the current inline with the positive in & out.

I've also tested the boost convert the same way when I tested how much current was being drawn when I tested the USB Connection on the Laptop & XBOX360 Charging Dock.

Now I want to use these solar panels, to charge my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone without batteries..

Here's what I got..
IMG00000001 2014.11.14 07.50.44 PM.jpg

Tested each panel, and still the same.. 2.082 Volts, WTF is going on..? Why do they drop so low..? I also tested the current the combined solar panels output current, and it doesn't matter if I test them combined before the diode or anything, still 0.003A @ 2.082 Volts..

Here's my setup..
IMG00000001 2014.11.14 08.19.40 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
Curious use of the phrase. Did you actually out these things out in full sunlight, or just measure them inside on your kitchen table?

Using two of these bad boys.. :)
Bulbs : CFL
Watts : 23 Watts
Output Equiv. Watts : 100 Watts
Temperature : 5,300 Kelvin ("Natural Daylight")
P1040828.JPG
Disconnected the third solar panel 20+ minutes before shooting the above photo.

No Sir, I am not using Sunlight. Got them earlier today, and didn't get a chance to use them until tonight.

So I hooked these bad boys up to a circuit, and tried them out.

Why do they need real sunlight anyways..? Isn't light, light? Isn't there photons in these two 5,300k 23 watt CFL's ?

Final output voltage, even when tested before the diode.. 2.3 volts final output, 0.003 Amps.

The Step Up Conveter (BOOST CONVERTER's) little LED on the board is shining, kinda like a pin point red light ( . ) It's on, but Can barely see it, but it's on.

See...?
P1040827.JPG

Last edited:

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
You are actually wasting energy here if you use 100W lamps as light source to generate 4.5W from solar panels.
Are you going to use them outside or just for playing with circuits inside the house?

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
You are actually wasting energy here if you use 100W lamps as light source to generate 4.5W from solar panels.
Are you going to use them outside or just for playing with circuits inside the house?
They're 23 Watt. Outside & Inside.

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
How did you measure the power?Accordingly to ohms law you should be getting 4,5W max.
I think that those are 25W equivalent bulbs but they are actually 5W.

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
No it does not matter.The problem is that they are rated at maximum power produced in perfect conditions but in reality they produce power accordingly to how powerful light is that day.You will probably get 30% less power.

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
Light from CFLs is Nothing like Sunlight!
Wire them like Kermit showed.
Wait until noon tomorrow to test them outside...
Thank You. I plan on doing that. So basically wire them all up in parallel.

Can't wait for tomarow. I'll be doing a nice 1080p @ 20Mbps @ 30FPS with perfect exposure on the results. Then I'll upload the video to YouTube and share the video here on All About Circuits.

Thanks so much for the help, very much appreciated.

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
Dont bother. I cant watch movies over my sloooow DSL line.
That's fine, wasn't looking for any feedback from you anyway, if that's what you were getting at. It's for others to see, and to keep a video log of my work, research, current hobbies & projects.

I don't see how you would get very high bandwidth in an airplane anyways, lol.

Looks like the the weather might be partly cloudy today.. :(

That's fine. I'll wait. Or.. I'll just buy a sh*t load more PV Cells, and see what the sun thinks of them. :)

IMG00000001 2014.11.15 01.03.37 AM.jpg

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
Tested it out today, turns out today was a clear day. Barely any clouds in the sky. 260 - 300+ mA @ 5.0+ volts. Used the boost converter at first, then used just the solar panels to charge the phone a little bit.

It's kinda odd.. These panels say they're rated for 4.5v @ 334mA but when I joined them all up, only gave me 300mA @ 5v. I don't know why. Was getting some nice sun too.

Geesh, that $400 Panasonic Lumix LX7 sure makes things look different. Kinda dusty.. But when you look at it in person, doesn't look half as bad as it does in the photo. :)

Just using the three solar panels in parallel, No Boost Converter. RadioShack 1.5 Watt - 4.5v - 0.334A Solar Panels.
IMG00000001 2014.11.15 04.48.58 PM.jpg

Yes I'm aware of the shadding effect on Solar panels, but even with the sun hitting them evenly, without any shading or partial shading, didn't get more than 300+ mA.