3com switch 4400 24 ports reset

piranha3380

Joined May 28, 2013
heya everyone,

i got my hands on a switch mentioned in the title and after some work on fans and dust i have it as new, except for the part that i got no experiance whit and thats the software side of it,

i tryed googling a manuel but that required me to connect to its com port and actualy being inside of it in the prog, but i dont have the matching com cable and software

i whant to use it as an LAN party switch but at this moment its green lights are flashing and its not letting me connect to my own network,

any way to logg in tru my network like one whould do setting up a router ?
i got its mac address cuz its on a sticker on the side,

hope anyone got hands on experiance on this :)

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
I have worked with some 3 com stuff. It is fairly simple to setup (at least if know a lot about networking). generally this is what I do: since sll mine were given to me I had no idea what the I.P on the switch is. you use a null modem serial cable to connect to the switch. then you launch putty or HyperTerminal this will give you an interface to the switch. both are free hyper terminal is in windows up until XP, but can still download from net if want. I prefer hyper terminal for console stuff simpler setup, works every time. in these programs you will need to configure some settings. usually by the console port it will say a list of numbers. E.G max 19200,8,1,n.
these correspond to the baud, width or byte size (don't recall now something like that), 1 is for stop bits, n should be no parity. also most 3coms use vt100 emulation.
once those are configured say connect press enter a few times you should get like a login prompt. therer are a bunch of defult accounts like admin, manager, supervisor. they kind of vary by the device and i'ts age. best google it, then you get default password too. probably has password though if from working environment so you will have to google reset procedure.
when I did it to mine you use console port type some command then within like 10 sec you must power cycle the unit then the password is set to default.
it should then have a text based wizard where you can put in I.P address, net mask, change password, etc. once it has an i.p go to your browser enter that in addres bar and that will take you to webpage config. which is what I would recommend for a beginner, also makes command line simpler to understand once you see some of the features. (yes switches have I.P addresses, but only managed ones. this is assigned to the device not a port like how a router is.)
if you want to link to a router you generally use the highest # port E.G 24. This usually has a switch by it for type of setup. it should be set to mdi, which is what all ports are so you could use any of them. in industry though generally like port 24 for consistency.
hope this helps

piranha3380

Joined May 28, 2013
wow that is a big bunch of info trown at me haha :) but i do struggle whit 1 thing and thats that i dont have the com cable,
i do have a mac address of the device so i hoped to log in by use of LAN, is that possible ???

btw i scavanged the switch from a hospital electronics bin, not that there is anything wrong whit it but they just upgrade it and scrap the old (works for me)

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
with out a console cable you may be SOL. =( you can possibly connect to a router and make a dhcp reservation for that mac address it may take that address then you can access from browser or telnet, etc. I kind of doubt it would even look for DHCP though at least if configured which I would think it would be. also if there is a password on it the ONLY way to reset is with console cable.
you may be able to connect to the switch then run a scanner like famatach's advanced I.P scanner. however you will have to guess at what range of addresses and net mask they could have used. may take time, but may eventually find it. my guess would be try the private 192.168.x.x with 255.255.255.0 net mask range.