3a 12v to 12v linear regulator

yonubear

Joined Jan 10, 2013
ok I am hoping someone can help me out with i am trying to regulate a 12vdc battery source that is always on charge when mains is available with an average voltage of 13.6 this is not an automotive application. i will be powering an external hard disk that normally uses a 12v wallwart. I am thinking about using a LM1085 but i was hoping someone might have a better regulator. Since I am sure i will be asked i do want a linear as i am trying to get rid of any additional rfi sources near my HF rig.

thanks,
yonu

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Put two of these in series with the load.
But that may make the voltage too low when he's operating from the battery (which I assume the op wants to do if the mains quit).

You might use a regulator that has a lower dropout voltage than the LM1085, which is typically about a volt. Here's some from Linear Technology.

yonubear

Joined Jan 10, 2013
I looked at the page you linked but the 1085 seems to be the only one rated for 3a with 12v output can you suggest one incase I am misunderstanding the chart.

Thanks,
Yonu

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Even you just need 2A then it still too hot for a linear regulator, the heat will be hot, hot, hot, you will be need a fan.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
If you are only running at 13.6 volts top end why bother regulating it at all?

I have a number of old powerpacks for devices such as yours and other computer peripherals that are rated at 12 volts output yet at no load they put out anywhere from 14 - 17+ volts no load and I have yet to see any 12 volt rated devices that run off them blow up and burn down when given the extra few volts.

My point is being very few transformer based power packs ever put out exactly their rated voltages at light loads and they were the industry standard before the SMPS types came out and they still work with the newer equipment just fine.

yonubear

Joined Jan 10, 2013
I had considered that but I just assumed I should have some type of regulator on it. but if I don't then I will give it a shot with a spare drive.

Thanks,
Yonu

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
If you have ever played around with any types of ATX power supplies you would be familiar with how poorly regulated their 12 supply lines can be.

I've seen a few of them go as high as 15 volts at light/no loads some go down to 10 volts on high loads. Most good ones are 12 volts +- 1 or so.

yonubear

Joined Jan 10, 2013
Wow I have never noticed one do 15 with no load but then I always check then with at least an hdd hooked up to have a load on the 5v and 12v rail.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
So...place one diode in series with the battery. It will keep the voltage between 11.8V and 12.8V, but the LM1085 has 1.1 volt drop at 3 amps and will take a 12.6 volt lead acid battery down to 11.5 volts.

Volts available.....12.6...13.6
LM1085 provides 11.5...12.0
1 diode provides...11.8...12.8

On the low end, the diode solution is closer to 12 volts than the regulator chip.
On the high end, the diode provided voltage will be less than 7% high.

yonubear

Joined Jan 10, 2013
The drive enclosure doesn't actually have a level on it. I did check the label on one of the drives that was out of warranty the level has .75a 5v .75a 12v.

So give me a honest opinion should I use a regulator or not. Based on my test from the setup I plan to use the highest voltage should be 13.9v.

Yonu

Joined Nov 30, 2010
So give me a honest opinion
After 5 different people have tried to help you for 3 days, you change both the current and the voltage, then use the word, "honest"? Did you get the impression anybody gave you anything except their honest, best suggestion?

yonubear

Joined Jan 10, 2013
No I think everyone has given an honest opinion. However I have been given 3 different suggestions. As to the current ratings by original 3a figure is based off the wallwart that came with the drive someone asked me what the rating on the drive was. As to voltage I simply stated tat the highest voltage possible should be 13.9. Now I am sorry I have upset you with my last statement but that was no reason to be rude.

Thanks for everyones help I guess I will go back to the drawing board and not bother anyone.

Thanks,
Yonu