350 watt power inverter with car battery

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by fachhoch, Oct 27, 2012.

1. fachhoch

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 23, 2011
    350 watt power inverter with 12v car battery , please advice If I can use this for my laptop and cell charger ? , how long will this last , I dont know anything about electronics, I bought power inverter which outputs 350 watt power , source for this is 12 v car battery
    can I use 2 car batteries to one inverter please advice ?

2. panic mode

Oct 10, 2011
    350W is rated output. device uses a bit more, say it's 80% efficient then

350/0.8=437.5W if you use it at full capacity.

assuming your battery voltage is 12V, that means current draw of about

437.5/12=36.5A

your battery will have Ah rating so if you divide that by 36.5A you will get estimate for number of hours it will power the load.

in reality your loads are not going to be as large. laptop is likely to consume 60-80W so your battery is likely to last some 4x longer than what was used in above example.

3. fachhoch

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 23, 2011
    any advice on charging my battery using solar battery charger or anything?
    I bought this car battery , inverter to have power in case of power outage beacuse of hurricane sandy.

4. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    You do realize that to provide any kind of real power, you are going to need far more than one car battery. You will most likely a large bank of batteries to run anything significant like a refrigerator or electric water heater.

Before you can tackle solar charging needs you first need to determine your intended consumption. That will lead to battery capacity and that to solar charging needs.

A solar panel is a poor choice for a hurricane anyway. Cloudy and rainy weather that accompanies hurricanes can last several days. No sun, no solar charging. Your money would be better spent on a generator.

Car batteries are poor choices for powering an inverter anyway. They are designed to deliver a large amount of current for a brief period and then to be charged immediately. What you want is to be able to deliver pretty much the same current over a long period of time.