300W 230V 50Hz Fan/Heater Circuit - Can it run on 240V 60Hz?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by envisioning, Jan 27, 2015.

1. envisioning

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Hello everyone. My name is Ted and I recently purchased a product from the Netherlands on Amazon.

Unfortunately, when it arrived, it had a goofy looking plug on the end of the cord since this unit is intended to be run at 230V 50Hz.

This thing has an ozone generator (that I'm guessing runs at a higher voltage), a heating coil that looks very similar to a hair dryer, and a 12v fan. The 12V also runs some electronics that include a timer (the unit runs for 5 minutes with ozone and 15 minutes heat).

Nothing has a label on it (I took it apart)! No devices have voltage/current/frequency ratings on it. This thing is like a black box from China.

Anyway, this thing is meant to be run on a 230V Line to Neutral circuit. I have read on other websites that it is possible to hook 240V 60Hz (120V/120V Line to Line) to a circuit such as this and it would be ok.

I just can't find enough data to show that this is OK. Would it be possible to work? I don't like the idea of hooking 240v to this thing when it doesn't have a neutral. I'm an electrician so I am not concerned with electrical safety - I am just curious to know if this circuit could work. Or would I need a step-up transformer to get me my 230V and neutral?

Thank you in advance
    Ted

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I assume you are in the N.A.? You should be OK running on 240v, you don't need a neutral, you should ensure it is grounded however, being a DC fan it should run at the same speed, if it had been an AC fan it would have run a little faster.
    If you want to run off a 120v outlet, you would need a step up transformer, and reference one side of the secondary to ground to set up a neutral in this case..
    Max.

3. envisioning

Jan 27, 2015
    Sorry about that.... Yes I live in the USA.

Luckily, I have access to a panel in a convenient location to just install a 240V receptacle and I'll install a standard 240V cord end.

I was just concerned about the circuit being able to handle a line voltage on each side... but from what I am reading online, these 230V cords can be plugged in interchangeably... so the circuit could see 230V from either direction.

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Normally there is no distinction, there should be nothing in the unit that would recognize whether it was 240v with two live conductors or live and neutral.
    Max.

5. envisioning

Jan 27, 2015
    That makes a lot of sense when you put it that way. Max, thanks a lot. It is very appreciated.