300VDC to 13.7vdc Regulator. HIGH AMPERAGE

Joined Nov 30, 2010
New idea: There are a lot of coils in that motor, somewhere around 24 to 27 of them. Maybe you can rearrange their connections to each other to make a lower voltage.

mpineda1010

Joined Jan 29, 2016
I recognize that motor. It comes with a 3 phase Variable Frequency Drive inside the end cap. The driver fails in about 3 years and the mechanical parts are as good as new. That does not make it a good thing to charge 12V batteries with, and you are not going to get 3800 watts out of it! The wires will melt before it does that. The fact that you found a motor does not make it practical for a battery charger. If you found an elephant, would you try to use it for a vacuum cleaner?

It frustrates me to see people pick up just any old piece of discarded junk and try to get a bunch of nerds to make it to do what it wasn't designed for. This is a rather extreme case of, "not right for the job". Go get the alternator out of a junk car if you want a hundred amps to charge batteries with.
Hello and thx for your time. Am a nerd myself but on the IT side. Not electric. This am doing as a hobbie. I know I could just buy a possible converter or something for that matter. I am trying to learn if something like that is even possible. Am aware my expectations may be too much. I just want the sense of achievements when one does something someone has said is not possible.

mpineda1010

Joined Jan 29, 2016
New idea: There are a lot of coils in that motor, somewhere around 24 to 27 of them. Maybe you can rearrange their connections to each other to make a lower voltage.
That's an awesome Idea. And maybe use a thicker wire. I'll evaluate this. I will still need to come up with a voltage regulator.

mpineda1010

Joined Jan 29, 2016
What turns the motor? A wind mill?
Are your batteries in series or parallel.
PS What is the charge controller?
I have another smaller motor and will put it in series with a V belt. That other motor will be powered with a small solar panel. Again guys am just taking this as a learning experience. Thanks to all for the ideas so far.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Learning experience? Well, first you should do a paper design. For instance, the solar incidence is approximately 125 W/hr per square foot (on a clear Texas day at noon). Assuming 25% efficiency of the solar panel, how big will your small panel need to be? Take into account the starting current of your small motor for calculating your panel size. Then, assume 80% conversion efficiency of the small motor to generator output. Will your design do what you want?

Until you find out these numbers, you shouldn't get your hopes up.

I'm not trying to dash your enthusiasm - I just want to inject a dose of reality here.

mpineda1010

Joined Jan 29, 2016
I'm just full of questions. :D
One more.... What is the voltage and current rating of the smaller motor and it's RPM at full voltage.
This may be easier than I thought. :eek:
Good Day, I really don't know the specs for this motor. it came from a treadmill. But if I do what is being suggested on this message then the total Wattage would be less, correct? being a smaller motor.

Am Considering taking this voltage being generated by the X13 motor and regulating it to 115VAC possibly utilizing a modified MOT. and I will try to convert a Computer PSU to a 12VDC supply. I have seen that being done. I have lots of PSU that go up to 700Watts so all the ideas given were awesome.

I would still like to try the original request. a possible Schematic that would convert the high Voltage to a 13.7VCD.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Good Day, I really don't know the specs for this motor. it came from a treadmill. But if I do what is being suggested on this message then the total Wattage would be less, correct? being a smaller motor.

Am Considering taking this voltage being generated by the X13 motor and regulating it to 115VAC possibly utilizing a modified MOT. and I will try to convert a Computer PSU to a 12VDC supply. I have seen that being done. I have lots of PSU that go up to 700Watts so all the ideas given were awesome.

I would still like to try the original request. a possible Schematic that would convert the high Voltage to a 13.7VCD.
Here is the deal.
You only get 24 volts and 136 watts from the solar panel. So keep that number in mind. Just for the sake of discussion let's say each motor with the belts is 60% efficient. So overall you "may" end up with 50 watts to work with. So if you have 48 volts worth of batteries that is 1 amp of charge current. Not to much, but it's a learning experience.
So instead of worrying about 300 volts and 100's of amps why not just pick the pulley that give you 48 volts from the big motor?
If you really want to charge the batteries, there are much easier & better ways to do it. But your right it will be a learning experience.
A place to start might be to hook the small motor to the solar panel to see if it can start and if it does how fast it spins.

mpineda1010

Joined Jan 29, 2016
Hello all I was able to find this dc power supply. Bought it at Scycraft electrical supplies in Winter Park FL. Now my only thinh is that this Power supply is only a 3.4 amp at 12v.

Attachments

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
You guys are way over complicating what should be an easy concept.

Nowadays most any power supply that uses the standard universal 88 - 260 VAC input would work just fine on a variable DC input anywhere around 70 - 80 volts up to 360 VDC or whatever the primary voltage limit is on the main power capacitors.

Given that just rectify the three phase AC coming out of the motor and send the DC from there to any common SMPS based unit of your choice.

mpineda1010

Joined Jan 29, 2016
You guys are way over complicating what should be an easy concept.

Nowadays most any power supply that uses the standard universal 88 - 260 VAC input would work just fine on a variable DC input anywhere around 70 - 80 volts up to 360 VDC or whatever the primary voltage limit is on the main power capacitors.

Given that just rectify the three phase AC coming out of the motor and send the DC from there to any common SMPS based unit of your choice.
The reason of my requesting a possible schematic was to not have to spend too much on a SMPS unit. I saw one that would have been perfect but cost me about a bit over $100 and I dont have those funds for that. Also I am doing this for learning and experimenting with. I will go with what I had thought of doing the PC PSU I have laying that is a 700w. I will modify a MOT and will update this thread once I have made something with it.

I did get great ideas here and thank you all.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Unfortunately you will never build a SMPS from scratch for less than you can buy a decent chinese made one. A lot of time you can't even fix a bigger name brand commercial unit for what you can buy a new one for.

Personally going by the motors rough power requirements and rated speed I suspect that if you don't mind winding the thing up into the 2000 - 3000 RPM range at load it would likely be able to put out 300 - 400 watts easily enough which as I see on eBay a reasonably priced 12 volt 360 watt SMPS with a 88- 260 VAC rated input costs under $35 and would be a good match to your motor with nothing more than a three phase bridge rectifier.

For battery charging all you would have to do is turn up the output voltage bit which most of those types of power supplies have a small output adjustment pot on them some place that will usually let you turn them up an extra 2 - 3 volts. If not it's just a matter of changing a resistor or two to tweak them up a bit.

mpineda1010

Joined Jan 29, 2016
Unfortunately you will never build a SMPS from scratch for less than you can buy a decent chinese made one. A lot of time you can't even fix a bigger name brand commercial unit for what you can buy a new one for.

Personally going by the motors rough power requirements and rated speed I suspect that if you don't mind winding the thing up into the 2000 - 3000 RPM range at load it would likely be able to put out 300 - 400 watts easily enough which as I see on eBay a reasonably priced 12 volt 360 watt SMPS with a 88- 260 VAC rated input costs under $35 and would be a good match to your motor with nothing more than a three phase bridge rectifier.

For battery charging all you would have to do is turn up the output voltage bit which most of those types of power supplies have a small output adjustment pot on them some place that will usually let you turn them up an extra 2 - 3 volts. If not it's just a matter of changing a resistor or two to tweak them up a bit.

This is a very important fact. Thank you so much for this Information.

mpineda1010

Joined Jan 29, 2016
Good day all. I started to modify this power supply I had in my garage from older pc I had repaired. This PSU says I could get up to 52A on the 12v rails.

http://www.antec.com/specs/TP3_650_spe.html

My question is that if I put all the three 12v lines listed would that create a short? or would it be safe. I have seen lots of videos that they put all the yellow lines together. This one has a blue line drawn on some of the yellow wires while other yellow wires are all yellow.

I am thinking that would represent a different circuit right?

could anyone please help me determine this.

Thank you all so far for the help.

Melvin

power supply.jpg