300 Watt Bicycle Generator Application

hawaiienergy

Joined Apr 5, 2013
Hey guys,

What can I directly connect to this generator?
I would like to power something so I can measure some data.
I dont have a battery or a charge controller so I'm trying to just power someting directly from this generator

Thank you guys for the help!!!!

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
So you want to pedal on bike to generate some electricity? Do you ralize humans can only make about 100W continuously?
Any way, everything depends on the details of that generator, like voltage and current

hawaiienergy

Joined Apr 5, 2013
this is the generator I have right now

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

it doesnt need to be a large appliance. just something to power and measure some data.
right now i have it connected to multimeter and also a WattsViewer which is a board with a program that can measure volts, amps, and watts.
since its not connected to load, I can't get any readings or values except volts only :(

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
That's a pretty cool little generator, but darn expensive. Think I'd just get an old chevy alternator from the junk yard.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Think I'd just get an old chevy alternator from the junk yard.
Two problems with that: 1) An automotive alternator requires current through the field windings to create the magnetic field. They're not PMAs yet, although I think there are some automotive PMAs out there. 2) An alternator is designed for MUCH higher rpm than can be expected from a bicycle, even with pulleys to increase the gear ratio. A few hundred rpm won't do much.

This all said, output per dollar might not be so bad, because you can probably find one for free if you're persistent.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Two problems with that: 1) An automotive alternator requires current through the field windings to create the magnetic field. They're not PMAs yet, although I think there are some automotive PMAs out there.
You need just a little to get it started. After that, you can self-excite

2) An alternator is designed for MUCH higher rpm than can be expected from a bicycle, even with pulleys to increase the gear ratio. A few hundred rpm won't do much.
If you're mechanically adept, you can rig up a 2 or 3 stage pulley system. But now that's getting complicated.