30 Seconds On/Off

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Makeshift, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Makeshift

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hey, I'm an art student, and for an installation I'm trying to create something similar to an air dancer (the inflatable things you see at car dealerships) the plan is to use a leaf blower and to have the leaf blower turn On/Off somewhat rapidly. I know there are timers you can buy for things like sprinklers and Christmas lights that do something similar to this, but I think those work with longer durations. Anyway, I don't have a very good understanding of circuits/electronics but it seems like there would be a simple way to do something like this? It would be plugged into a wall outlet. Sorry if this has been asked before, I'm really not sure what language I should be using to describe what I'm trying to achieve, so its been hard to look up information. Thnx

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    simple 555 timer circuit in astable mode
    output to relay..
    relay switches leaf blower.

3. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Kit K103 on this website may be of interest. You would add a relay with coil voltage to match the kit, and contact rating to switch the leaf blower. An 120Vac Solid State Relay module might be better than an electromechanical relay..

4. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
  5. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    That is a one-shot timer. He needs a free running oscillator with roughly a 50% duty cycle.

6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    yep he needs astable.. Its on that same page that Dick referenced.. Just a bit further down.. "astable with period of 2 seconds".. just need to adjust the timing components for 30 second periods.

7. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Yes, but I was betting that the OP didn't know that ;)

8. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    Apologies if this is stuff you already know however I think it’s worth pointing out that if you end up making something yourself you need components that are rated for the job. Other posters have mentioned using a relay, which is a device that allows a low voltage/low current circuit such as a timer to control a high voltage/current device such as a leaf blower. The important thing is that you need a relay that has a sufficient rating for the leaf blower, i.e. if the leaf blower draws 3A then you need a relay that has contacts rated for more than 3A at mains voltage.

9. Makeshift

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Thnx for the replies everyone, I really appreciate it. Yeah, assume I know nothing > . < I'm going to try to put stuff together this weekend, If I run into any problems I'll be back here. Thnx thnx